LRH in South Africa

Well, THEIS covered it for me, about the only thing that they don't expect back is the ammunition and even then 1 time I had to fill out a declaration, that it had been expended, but that is a rare event in my experience.

I was even refused once on a rifle because, it was not deemed a sporting rifle, but a "Sniper/Military" rifle, hence a controlled item, Basically it was an M40A1 clone, with a legally acquired Unertl 10X mounted on it, only thing it lacked was US property marks and assigned SRN.

Given that both parties would be violating US and International Law and indeed the laws of any signatory to the conventions should the act happen within their borders, the sanctions would be severe. Potentially, you could, if charged with Arms smuggling, face charges in every jurisdiction you traveled thru..US -Britain - France .....depending how your flight was routed and how badly some government drone wanted to make an example out of an Arms smuggler...and in today's world.........

You really don't want to dip your toe in these waters, believe me.

edited for spelling/incomplete thought :)

Last edited by a moderator:
HI THEIS
Thank you for the Heads-Up!
Given what I read from the documents listed above, a Nightforce,Leopold or Vortex riflescope cannot be regulated under these laws as they were manufactured for civilian use and not for military application (albeit milspec) specific to any items listed on the ITAR document, as you yourself mentioned.
Do you believe it is still illegal, then? I never asked for a Military used optic, my two examples I used were NF ATACR and Vortex Razor HD. I can buy these scopes right of the shelf in SA but they cost similar to a surgeons' monthly salary. The costs on top of what you guys pay for them in the USA usually amount to 36- 40% for a local dealer to land them here and then they have to put up a mark up as well.
My concern would be the declaration of what you bring in (you must take back out), but then I do not understand how it is commonplace in SA for PH's to be paid 'tips' by means of riflescopes, binocs, etc. especially by US hunters?

In any case I appreciate everyone's response and input.
Happy Hunting

Hello,
Category I, Subsection F of the USML Sec 121 does NOT say "military application"..it says:
(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

The scopes you can buy off the shelves have went through to approval process...that is why they have the prices the do. Legal almost always cost more than illegal.

The "Tips" issue is exactly why the DDTC has made it a point to monitor hunting forums and more importantly make their presence at National and International Hunting expos.....Just because the Sinaloa cartel imports tons and tons of drugs into the USA does not mean it is LEGAL. Hunters for years and years have gotten away with doing exactly what you originally requested..BUT it is ILLEGAL and is considered same International Arms smuggling charges as me sending firearms to North Korea.

THEIS

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.