Sometimes this LR Stuff wears me down

Greg Duerr

Right now I have my first Custom Rifle, built by TS Customs. Remington 700, McMillan stock, Benchmark Barrel and as someone new to all of this did manage to find the rifles sweet spot. Its a 6.5 Creedmoor, 140gr Berger VLDH, Lapua Brass, F205M, 42.4gr of H4350, cronoed at 2860 approx, it has a 26" #3 barrel. I have never ever shot groups like this ..........Thought that groups in the .2's were just in someones imagination. So now I would like to upgrade my scope. I have a Leupold VX 3i, i think, 4.5-14 x 40 with the CDS
Dont want to spend more than $1250 Ive only looked at two scopes, the Huskemaw 4-16 Blue Diamond and the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 but would love your feedback and experiance as other than the Rifle Range I do need lots of Field experience which I dont have YET. Do plan on doing a lot of Practice out in the field this spring and summer shooting Marmonts.
Did buy a Leica Range finder ...........need your imput based on your experience as of now I dont have any.........................

I like the huskemaw better than the SHV. I think it has better glass. Much better people to deal with too.

VX 6 is my choice but all 3 are good choices

The scopes you mentioned aren't bad, but......If it were me I'd save just a bit more and buy a used NXS 5-22 with the reticle of your choice. If you pick MOA instead of MIL (which I'm betting you would) you can probably find one for $1500-$1600.

There are lots of good scopes nowadays but I think you'd be hard pressed to beat an NXS for that price point, especially if you're going to be twisting knobs a lot. The name of the game in distance shooting is a scope that's reliable and repeatable. I'm not wanting to start a ****ing match as I stated there are other good options depending on price point but they have served me very well.

As to the two scopes you mentioned, I've read of some shooters who found the SHV didn't track that well and some that that do really well. Having not owned either one but shot friends in both models I think I would go with the Huskemaw, but would really prefer higher magnification in either one of them.

Maybe the Huskemaw 5-20x50 only $200 more. It has a thinner reticule than the 4x16
and gathers more light. I have both and like the 5x20 better, but the 4x16 is just fine on 4 other of my rifles.

You mentioned marmots. If that is a significant part of your plan, I'd lean toward more top end.

For my eyes 16X gets me to about 500 yards-a little more in best conditions.

The Nightforce SHF 5-25X would likely be my choice, based on price.

The VX6's are good I have 2. Again if varmints are much on the list I'd go 4-24X, but they're a little more money than what you stated.

The Reason Im getting into the Long Range Shooting was because Five Years a go while Hunting Mule Deer in the East Humbolt Range of Nevada I glassed a Huge Buck right below Chimmney Rock that I ranged at 447 yards way past what I thought was a reasonable shot with my 7mm-08. Now after asking a lot of questions on this sight and with the right equipment that would have been a relatively easy shot for a lot of you. No wind calm and about 30 degrees, close to 8500 ft. I would guess his outside spread to be close to 35" just a huge 4x4, can still see him in my mind . Dont ever want that to happen again.

Bushnell LRHS, the glass punches well above its price range and the mechanicals are rock solid/reliable. If you're not already tied to a turret/reticle system (MOA/MIL/Etched Turrets), I strongly suggest you start out 'right' with MIL's on a 10-MIL-per-revolution turret and the reticle in the Front Focal Plane. I've tried them all and this was by far the least confusing and most flexible system. It's how the vast majority of Practical/Tactical (PRS) competition shooters operate. They shoot at long distances under tight time constraints and this system has proven to result in the least mistakes when under pressure. Dial elevation, hold wind on the FFP reticle...

Yes, I know some of the ^^^^ statements will be controversial around here :D

Last edited:
Bushnell LRHS, the glass punches well above its price range and the mechanicals are rock solid/reliable. If you're not already tied to a turret/reticle system (MOA/MIL/Etched Turrets), I strongly suggest you start out 'right' with MIL's on a 10-MIL-per-revolution turret and the reticle in the Front Focal Plane. I've tried them all and this was by far the least confusing and most flexible system. It's how the vast majority of Practical/Tactical (PRS) competition shooters operate. They shoot at long distances under tight time constraints and this system has proven to result in the least mistakes when under pressure. Dial elevation, hold wind on the FFP reticle...

Yes, I know some of the ^^^^ statements will be controversial around here :D

Agree with this. The LRHS is a fantastic scope. At the OP's price point should definitely be under consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.