Something New For The Ultralight Junkies

landonm

Official LRH Sponsor
New Skunkwerks build out from Gunwerks today called "The CUT"
https://www.gunwerks.com/shop/skunkwerks-the-cut-rifle-system-22799

CUT WEIGHT, NOT PERFORMANCE

The CUT is the latest edition of the Skunkwerks series of purpose-built, limited run rifle systems by Gunwerks. Built with the singular, obsessive purpose of cutting every possible ounce from an already lightweight ClymR rifle system without compromising on performance. The CUT is the result of a massive R&D materials project sparing no expense to engineer a super-tuned mountain rifle that shoots like nothing else in its weight class.
Our journey to achieve the goals set forth with The CUT quickly took us to new territory. Realizing our need to explore new, advanced materials, engineer new solutions to make weight and avoid compromise led to process, design and material breakthroughs that will serve as a springboard to launch future generations of Gunwerks rifle systems.

Key Features:
  • Caliber: 6.5 PRC or 7 SAUM
  • Weight: 6.5 Lbs (7 SAUM), 6.8 Lbs (6.5 PRC) with optic (20% weight savings over production ClymR)
  • Length: 40 3/4" @ 13.5" LOP
  • Barrel: 20" optimized contour carbon wrapped
  • Action: Skeletonized titanium GLR Action
  • Stock: Made with advanced spread tow carbon fiber
  • Scope: Custom Leupold VX6 HD with capped windage & removed illumination

Weatherby Ti = 4.9 lbs plus scope for a lot less……
That gun is definitely light!

The Cut in 7mm SAUM is just barely over 5 lbs, with a full bedding chassis, a supreme Gunwerks cut rifled carbon barrel, and one of Hawkins Precision's elegant three round detachable magazines. We could easily be in low 4lb territory, but the goal was light WITHOUT sacrificing performance.

This gun is finished as complete system (as Gunwerks rifles are).

Weatherby Ti = 4.9 lbs plus scope for a lot less……
But I can't suppress it which makes it much less ideal in my case.

I shot one of the light Kimbers in 6.5 Creedmoor, it absolutely sucked and after 3 shots I had no interest in shooting it any more. I have a feeling a can would have tamed that down quite a bit.

That gun is definitely light!

The Cut in 7mm SAUM is just barely over 5 lbs, with a full bedding chassis, a supreme Gunwerks cut rifled carbon barrel, and one of Hawkins Precision's elegant three round detachable magazines. We could easily be in low 4lb territory, but the goal was light WITHOUT sacrificing performance.

This gun is finished as complete system (as Gunwerks rifles are).
Hope your new product does well in the marketplace!

But I can't suppress it which makes it much less ideal in my case.

I shot one of the light Kimbers in 6.5 Creedmoor, it absolutely sucked and after 3 shots I had no interest in shooting it any more. I have a feeling a can would have tamed that down quite a bit.
Why can't you suppress it? Just take off the break and use whatever adaptor you have? Or direct thread?

Why can't you suppress it? Just take off the break and use whatever adaptor you have? Or direct thread?
If the rifle was meant to be suppressed then they would have called out the thread size, the fact that they don't implies that there is not enough of a shoulder to adequately support a suppressor.

If the rifle was meant to be suppressed then they would have called out the thread size, the fact that they don't implies that there is not enough of a shoulder to adequately support a suppressor.
Interesting theory. I hadn't thought of that before- I thought they mentioned thread in the video but I'd have to go back and look.

I also imagine folks looking to shave every ounce aren't putting a priority on a suppressor and the added weight, so to your point about wanting a suppressor on yours this might bot be for you.

Im curious about the threads/shoulder now though- maybe they'll release some of those specs soon.