New Ultralight Rifles

Blacktail

Anyone have any experience with these actions. My gun builder talked about maybe using one for a 300 win lightweight gun along with a #2 contour shilen and a banser or Mcmillan edge stock. Hoping to get it around 7 to 7.5 pounds.

I have used standard actions. No special metals or especially special metals. I would take a Bansner stock over a McMillian though. I just like the fit and finish of the Bansner over the McMillian. Plus Bansner is really easy to work with.

I had one of Mel's origional rifles for a while and was very pleased with the action quality. He uses a differant material than that like what the big name makes use so its stronger and in all reality his action are probably storner than any factory despite being smaller.

You can get a SA rem down that light , a thin barrel , good carbod fiber stock of Hightech specialties (Bannser) is about 20 oz , use a set of one piece aluminum ring/base sets from Tally , and trim on the action some it woulden't be that hard to get a rifle down to 7lbs , thats without a scope though.

I have had 3 of the old ULAs. Melvin Forbes LA weighs 5.5 lbs if I remember right and is a sum of all its parts carefully put together that WORKS.

Guess I fail to see the reasoning to buy the action, give it someone else, spend the same money and end up with a rifle 1-2 lbs heavier and not covered by warranty.

Melvin has replaced stocks no cost and done other warranty work.

Buy the NULA, be happy and do not look back!!

BH

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Plus i dont know if even sells his stocks seperate. I may have to bite the bullet and fork out the $$.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.