Some brass not bumping back

bultinkle

Once fired lapua brass
243 win
Rcbs full length sizer

Most cases bumping back as expected 2-4 thousandths.

6 or so shoulder is not moving at all, even as I crank the die down a lot. Removing expander does not change anything.

Example

Fired case base to shoulder is 1.658

95% of my cases are 1.6535-1.656 which is what I was shooting for

6 cases are 1.6580 and won't budge. I've turned the die almost to camming now and there is zero change.

Why are some of these being stubborn? What am I not thinking about here? Is it my press flexing on hard brass?

They chamber ok with resistance, so I plan to just shoot them as of now

Once fired lapua brass
243 win
Rcbs full length sizer

6 or so shoulder is not moving at all, even as I crank the die down a lot. Removing expander does not change anything.

Example

6 cases are 1.6580 and won't budge. I've turned the die almost to camming now and there is zero change.

Why are some of these being stubborn? What am I not thinking about here? Is it my press flexing on hard brass?

I did that once. Chambered ok with resistance. Was not a good outcome for me. But the ammo was older & loaded by someone else. And the powder used did have some temp issues. And the brass was not fired from this rifle. I am guessing they were loaded hot to begin with. I have yet to break one down. Trying to locate a collet for the puller. So I set this project on the back burner till I check a few things. I hope more chime in for you. I thought there was a recent thread on this already for someone else trying to resize brass. Some of the answers given you already addressed. And I know you are way more knowledgeable at this than I. Please keep me updated on what you find. I am new to reloading. And enjoy reading how issues were fixed.

I'm now new to reloading but I am going into this fully expecting and hoping this is a simple issue and I'm just overlooking something, or didn't know something's Happens to us all :)

Iirc that thread was concern of variance, while my issue is just not being able to move the shoulder of a small number of cases at all.

Last edited:
Once fired lapua brass
243 win
Rcbs full length sizer

Example

The stubborn ones I'll leave for last. Screw the die in a little more and make them bump. Then reset die back to normal.

I'd guess they are springing back for whatever reason.
have access to an annealer?
No, I've been vehemently against them as I reload to shoot not to reload lol I've never needed one for my accuracy needs so far

Seems maybe I need to finally bite the bullet

Or…. I could toss the cases in the trash and act like this problem didn't happen :p

Last edited: