F C Brass question, some tight in the chamber some not.

earl1704

Reloading once fired F C brass from multiple boxes of originally factory loaded bullets, 270 WSM, 130 grain SST Hornady bullet, RCBS full length die.

When I try to seat them (no bullet) in my rifle the bolt closes tightly on some not on others.

Resized them several times (tighter ones), trimmed the necks way back, bumped the shoulder as much as possible.

When I trimmed them on my RCBS trimmer I could slip some in easily in the holder others took some force but would seat in the holder.

They are all resized the same, the only thing I can think of is the bases are different thickness but would that affect the way the bolt closes on the brass in the rifle?

Have loaded Winchester with no problems.

Any thoughts?

FC brass is a little softer than Winchester I believe. If you took a micrometer and measured right at the shiny ring where the web starts, bet you find that the ones that don't chamber easily are slightly larger in that area. Your die is probably not sizing that part of the case.

Bingo! 5540 vs. 5560

Since the RCBS die does not seem to go down the case that far is it 'pushing' it to a bulge or just the die will never reach this point?

Put another way can this be corrected?

If I turn the die down lower it will bump the case holder.

Do you know if the die 'should' reach this point?

Thank You;
Earl

Earl, common issue with web expanding in excess with WSM cartridges. Mine does the same, I have found mine to be a loose chamber and my brass grows too much (.012 thou after 1st firing)

I have not been able to correct the issue. I am on 5 firings and am to the point where I have to really force the bolt closed because the web has grown so much case bulge.

You might contact this guy and see if he will make you a custom die to size the web bulge. he has a collet die for belted magnums, unfortunately nothing for WSM's.
Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment

I would talk to Redding about making a die for it. Send them both pieces of brass and tell them you need a die that will size the brass back to the one that fits.

Yes turn the die down until it touches the case holder. Don't put it to tight where the you cant pull the arm all the way down and get it to cam over. try it with it just touching then try to chamber. if it doesn't work go 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the die further as long you get it to cam over. That will bump your shoulder back and should work. i have had the same problem in other cartridges and it has always worked for me.

I first encountered the tight fitting brass with a 338 RCM. It began to have bolt closure/extraction issues after two firings.

I used a sharpie to determine the base was not sized enough with RCBS, Hornady or Redding FL dies. I later encountered this with the 300 RUM after a few firings as well.

IMO the issue is thicker case walls which results in less springback after several firings. I don't think the manufacturers are considering this in determining the size of their FL sizer dimensions. If the die was changed for more base sizing the issue would be eliminated. Unfortunately the standard die dimensions are not small enough.

RCBS offers a small base die for the 270 WSM which I think you could try first.

RCBS Small Base 2-Die Set 270 Winchester Short Mag (WSM)

If that doesn't do it you could send a few fired cases to Whidden and have them make a FL die for your needs.

I own a lathe and decided to make my own small base die. I took the RCBS FL 338 RCM die and shortened it at both ends by using a carbide tool bit. It worked so well I made one for my 300 RUM as well.

Now you know what is causing it. See if you can get it solved.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.