Solid copper bullet question

david g ranes

You that shoot solid copper bullets do you have problems seeing your hits on steel at longer yardages because of no lead splash never shot any and was just wondering. David

T1000_First_Option-reduced.jpg

Hit indicator from Magneto Speed:

https://magnetospeed.com/products/t1000-target-hit-indicator

They are hard to see 1,500 - 2,000 yards. They leave a nickel sized copper mark.
I was just wondering the lead splash on white steel shows up good I didn't figure the coppers would show up as good but didn't know how far you could shoot before it got really hard to see Thanks David

As stated above they are very hard to see. I switched over from Berger's to Hammers in my 300 PRC for an upcoming hunt in Africa and the first couple of times I shot at the 600 yard steel my spotter said you missed. I said no way I missed and he said well I can see them. The target did move but I think you hit the back rest that the target is on. We drove down to take a look and I had a nice 3.5" group about 2" out of the bull. Will be shooting them out to 1000 this Friday, I hope we will be able to tell if they are hitting the steel.

There are technologies that allow viewing targets from any distance via video monitoring. Doing that could be but a great add-on enhancement to a range's business. So would the Flex Prism device for that matter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.