Bullet Question

luke5678

I am currently considering shooting the Berger VLD 168 grain in 7mm Mag. I heard they fly really well but also heard they don't hold together very well.

Any experience with this bullet on deer and elk?

Thank you.

The Bergers are designed to "come apart" after entering a target. This results in massive internal damage on animals, short blood trails, and happy hunters. The 168s are great for deer and antelope, and would work on elk, but you might want to step up to the 180s for everything. My wife and I have shot several deer and antelope with 168 Bergers and 162 Amax, both work very well.

where are you ? what gun what scope? i shot a record book 350 pound rocky mt bighorn with a 168 berger. i would choose a different bullet for elk. just me. roninflag

I use the 168 hunting VLD in .30 cal in my 300 RUM. for antelope, deer, elk, the VLD has performed very, very well for me. Extremely accurate and DEADLY . Shot's over the years have ranged from 400 too 830 yds. bullet works well at all ranges.

I've used the 168 and 180gr Bergers in my Sendero 7mm Rem Mag. They do really fly. My young son shoots MOA and better to 940yds.

We only tried the 168's initially. Once the 180's proved themselves, I see no reason to flip/flop.

He shot a whitetail at 548yds with the 180's and it was loaded down from 2900+ to a MV of 2606 fps. There was a tiny hole going in and a 3 inch exit which sucked the insides out. DRT as they say. So, it was extrememly lethal at that distance.

...ditto for wild hogs, but haven't shot any hogs at long range and we don't hunt mulies or Elk

There are many theories about terminal ballistics and lethality. Whether you're referring to a bullet that's designed to break up, or one that is designed to mushroom and retain weight, damage to vital organs is what does the trick.

Bullets usually have a minimum impact velocity or even a range in which they will expand correctly.

Comparing BC (trajectory/wind), energy, and required impact velocity, I beleive the Berger philosophy is more reliable for longer ranges than the other guys who make very good monolithic or bonded bullets.

That's my opinion based on a lot of reading and a little success.

Last edited:
I agree with the above statments. They work very well on game. Small hole in Big hole out if any. Massive internal damage and dead animal in its tracks.

Thank you for the responses. I have a 7mm Remington Sendero that I was thinking of shooting through. I'll give it a shot and see if the shoot noticeably better than the 160 accubonds. I'm about .65 inch group at 100 yards right now. We'll see what happens.

Just a bit of info you may or may not know but don't judge the VLD bullets by a 100yard group. Berger recommends 300yds to shoot groups. I usually get it on paper at 100 then start shooting for groups at 300

Thank you for the responses. I have a 7mm Remington Sendero that I was thinking of shooting through. I'll give it a shot and see if the shoot noticeably better than the 160 accubonds. I'm about .65 inch group at 100 yards right now. We'll see what happens.
I too shoot the Sendero 7RM and it does well with the 180g Bergers.

You may get .65 or better, or a little worse at 100yds. But like sniperjwt said, you ultimately want to compare them to the Accubonds at long range where they really shine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.