Bullet Performance Question

Havingfun

I am using 200 G Accubonds in my 325 WSM (2886 MV) and am not sure I like the performance.

Two bull elk hit this season, one at 315 yards and the other at 388 yards.

Of the three hits, none of the Accubonds exited the other side but rather broke apart within and the bullets were recoverable.

Two shots went through the same shoulder on one elk also hitting the lungs and the bullets were recovered in the gut with retention losses of anywhere from 40% to 50% when I weighed the remaining bullets.

On the second elk (388 yards), the bullet entered through the ribs and was found just under the hide on the other side with about a 30 to 40% loss of weight along the way.

Neither bulls were DOA but certainly mortally wounded. However, if we had to have tracked them, there would have been little blood trail to follow.

Is this the expected outcome of using the Accubonds? Both my guide and myself were a little surprised they broke apart so quickly with no exit wound in any of the three hits.

Thoughts? (Besides - "If you hit them in the heart.........")

Thanks

I ave turned away from Nosler tipped bullets of this design because of what you described. Although your Accubond held together better then my CT;s did. Its to bad they make such accurate bullets other wise I would not look at them. If you want a good bc bullet try their E Tip. It is a copper bullet designed to hold together.

Use a heavier Accubond if you desire greater weight retention and exit holes. Start out with 50 more grains of lead and the butt end of the bullet will survive with additional weight.
Or as stated, if you want to shoot the lighter faster bullets, try some monolithic (100% copper) bullets. Try the Hammer line of bullets. Designed for terminal performance, first and foremost.

Sounds like what I would expect.

Trying to picture the angle to hit shoulder/lungs/gut, but those had decent linear penetration. Stopping under the offside hide isn't unusual.

Shedding petals after 50-60% isn't unusual with Accubonds.

Heavier bullets, and/or different design as has been said if your goal is an exit wound.

The 8mm lineup isn't the most complete, and depending on action length, heavier, longer bullets could begin to limit powder space, unless single loaded.

Some have suggested the Nosler Partitions but have found they do not group well in most of my guns. I'll take a look at the Hammer line of bullets suggested above.

same poor performance at 796 with a 160 grn .284 on an Idaho Whitetail. blew up on scapula with no further penetration. required a coup de grace

I had a .308 215 Berger Hybrid just under the offside skin on an elk taken at 432 yards. Weight retention was around 87gr if I recall correctly. Bull went about 4'....straight down.

Another with a .308 175 SMK that was the same way. Instant dead.

Also had 2 elk in the last 2 years that had a pass through with a .284" Berger 180 Hybrid. One @ 75 yards, good blood trail, exit was about racquetball size, elk went maybe 60 yards? Other was at 662 yards, exit was about $.25 size, little blood trail in the first 20 yards, bull went 50 yards coughing up lung Jell-o the last 30.

A bullet that expends 100% of it's energy inside the animal is about as good as it gets. Maybe 95% with an exit would be slightly better. But dead is dead. A high shoulder shot will usually anchor them right now. I just can't seem to get myself to shoot that after 25 years of aiming behind the shoulder. But I have my kids do it, and results are spectacular.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.