Bullet Performance at Long Range.

Antelope at 777 yards 180 grain TSX (from a 300 Win) droped in its tracks

Oryx at 420 yards same combo

Goat at 514 Yards same combo

Deer 300 yards same combo no tracking on any of the animals

Nomosendero, "You be Ten Bears" Saw your signature and saw the movie. One of my favorites. I assume that is from Josey Wales.

Oryx with 300 SMK

This March I took an Oryx with a 300 SMK from my AR-30 338 Lapua Mag. Pass through both lungs, but most of the enrgy was spent on the hillside behind since no major bones were in the path. It managed to go about 100 yards before collapsing.

I also shot a mulie in Colorado recently at closer range. It made it about 10 steps.

In my limited experience, the 300 SMKs seem to wrok pretty well.

Steve in NM

666 yards cow elk-Never got up
547 yard whitetail buck-a couple of feet
330 yard buck antelope-several feet

200 grain 7mm Wildcat w/2700 MV

@ < 600yds...
AR-30, 338 lapua & 300 SMK at max retumbo load listed in sierra book =

only movement made by the deer was airborne backflips, kinda like a prarrie-dog, so yeah...DRT!

exit hole was baseball sized..? I guess, with bone frags everywhere, front shoulders were shattered.

long range bullet performance.

Shot a white tailed doe at 283 yds with a 130 gr BT out of a 270 Win. She reacted very appropriately to the pull of gravity. DRT.

I made my longest shot ever this year; 429 yards, 6mm Rem, muley doe. I missed the first shot, under her, and she didn't even wiggle. I quickly reloaded and adjusted appropriatly. At the shot she looked drunk, one step to the left, three to the right and then fell on her beak.

What fiftydriver and others have said before I have found true; when shooting animals from longer ranges they are less stressed and un-scared. Also any animals with them dont get scared and run off stressed. What I have seen is they just get a little nervous and move off.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.