So much for: "They don't build em' like they used to."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so everyone knows, I'm taking my kids camping this weekend and I will be off the grid, I didn't want my silence to be mistaken for being a retreating Keyboard Warrior or coward or being scared and so on, with that being said I hope everyone has a great weekend, Stay Vigilante
Bean

So the quote: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" comes to mind.

👍👍👍

J E CUSTOM

J.E. ,

Your quote is one that I first heard nearly 50 years ago . I first started learning to work as an automotive mechanic in January , 1969 , working for my Father and his older brother who were partners in an auto repair garage .
The year was 1974 , when a middle-aged lady customer had her 1965 Buick towed to our shop to check-out some engine problems . The engine was worn-out , rods knocking , engine compression low , collapsed rings causing blow-by , as well as transmission slipping and not up-shifting , and front suspension worn-out .
The vehicle was not worth repairing , and it was not a "COLLECTOR CAR" , with no special significance , or value .
My Uncle tried to explain to the lady who owned the car that it was not worth the cost of repairing , but the lady kept insisting that her car was wonderful , and she did not mind spending her money to repair the car's engine . Uncle Pete told her that he was not going to charge her for the check-out of her vehicle , (because he knew that she was of limited financial means) , and he suggested that she would be better served by taking the money that she would be spending on engine overhaul , and applying that money to purchase a good used vehicle from a reputable used-car lot that there were several nearby .
The lady kept insisting that we repair her car's engine , and Uncle Pete told her that even after engine repairs , that her car still had major problems in it's transmission and front suspension , and that
" Ma'am , you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ."
Her response " Just exactly what do you mean by those words Mr. P " ?
To which he replied " Ma'am , YOU CAN"T POLISH A T_RD ".
She did understand the phrase about trying to polish that object .

My Uncle was a plain-spoken , honest man.

Sorry for the long-winded story , but your quote brought that to mind .

Press-On J.E.
I for one , look forward to reading your replies to the many forums that you post advice .

DMP25-06

Status
Not open for further replies.