Snoring

BTW - I also keep a big knife within reach usually. Would use it against a big cat - even if I picked up a lot of slashes and gashes in the process but- vs. a bear - not so much.

A big male mountain goes what - 150 lbs maybe - and full of claws and fangs - but a fricking Black Bear - 400+ lbs for a male? And incredibly strong. Play dead - or outrun your tent mate. :)

That little 150 lb mountain lion is probably 4 times stronger than us. They are a full on woop butt animal. Like I previously said if you don't know it's coming for you your toast. If you know it's coming you might have a chance. Black bears are not too scarey unless they have cubs. Grizzlies and Browns would be an awfully bad day for us.
Shep

BTW - growing up in the Mountains of Southern Ore - 50's - I remember reading in Boy's Life the story of a hunter who was attacked and lived by forcing his hand/arm down the Mountain Lion's mouth/throat. Really messed up his arm but suffocated the big cat. Also - see this story:

That little 150 lb mountain lion is probably 4 times stronger than us. They are a full on woop butt animal. Like I previously said if you don't know it's coming for you your toast. If you know it's coming you might have a chance. Black bears are not too scarey unless they have cubs. Grizzlies and Browns would be an awfully bad day for us.
Shep
Agree - would be hellacious. Some say like fighting a chain saw. :) Don't know that the Cat is 4 times stronger than us - they are very strong no Q - but those **** bears are much stronger than us. As you say - fear the sow with cubs.

There was just a guy that threw a rock at a mountain lion that was stAlking him. He got gopro footage of it all. Saw it on the news no more than 3 weeks ago. Cat wAs looking mean too. Ears were back and flat. But he yelled at it and then threw a big rock at it.
Shep

There was just a guy that threw a rock at a mountain lion that was stAlking him. He got gopro footage of it all. Saw it on the news no more than 3 weeks ago. Cat wAs looking mean too. Ears were back and flat. But he yelled at it and then threw a big rock at it.
Shep
I would be flinging rocks like crazy as well. Anything topo show them it's not an easy prey !!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.