Solo vs. multi person

Gman98

Hey guys, if you're anything like me you enjoy the satisfaction of a solo hunt, but what do yo guys prefer, solo or with another hunter? I like to have another person there mainly for safety.

Alex

I solo hunt these days 80% of the time. When I used to back pack hunt 3-4 day trips I have a cousin who likes to hunt just as I do and we would team up as it increased our odds of success. We would hunt high country that both were familiar with and each would hike a different line 400 yards to 1/2 mile apart depending on the terrain ending up at a pre arranged place for the night. Worked very well and if either took a buck we boned it out and packed out in one trip. Totally solo it takes me two trips to get a boned out mule deer out depending on how far in I am. 5-6 with a elk or 2 with the horses if they are along.

I have done this my whole life in all kinds of weather and have never had what I would consider a life threatening incident. Can't count how many times I have had a bad fall or a horse wreck while being alone. Took me awhile one night to find the tied horse in a whiteout but nothing that someone else around could have helped with. I think the whole "being safe" thing has been way overrated....just my opinion.

I used to really like going out solo but my last one almost ended badly and a string of miracles is the only reason I'm here to day. Don't leave without going with my old man or a buddy any more and have had some awesome hunts!

On a backpack hunt I really prefer to hunt with THE RIGHT person. Two people that work well together makes for a very efficient sytem and hunting team.

Lately I've been hunting with my 9 year old son. It makes for more work than a solo hunt right now. I'm looking forward to when he can carry his gear and mine:D Our back pack trips are mostly for spring turkey so the weather is nice and the loads are relatively light. Bigger game and longer trips as he gets older:)

On a backpack hunt I really prefer to hunt with THE RIGHT person. Two people that work well together makes for a very efficient sytem and hunting team.

Lately I've been hunting with my 9 year old son. It makes for more work than a solo hunt right now. I'm looking forward to when he can carry his gear and mine:D Our back pack trips are mostly for spring turkey so the weather is nice and the loads are relatively light. Bigger game and longer trips as he gets older:)

Yes, it has to be the right partner. I also hunt solo about 80 percent of the time mostly because I have learned, most of the time the hard way, that I am the only one I can depend on. I don't have to worry about backing out at the last minute, being late, dividing food, etc. I do like the company of another person but it is very hard in finding the right hunting partner.

Randy

I hunt much better on my own and each additional person decreases odds in my opinion. on an elk hunt I usually hunt with one other person but I have no problem hunting alone, If I am deer hunting its almost always solo. Just works better and I think it gives you an edge.

I usually hunt with one other person but that is it. I always go with a buddy of mine if he draws and he goes if I draw. I have no problem going by myself though. If you have someone that hunts with you that knows how you hunt then it usually isn't a problem.

Reading your post reminded me of when I first started taking my son hunting out of state mainly the Utah high country when he was 16. He is my favorite hunting partner today and quite capable in all situations.
Back then those hunts were the roughest I have ever had. My stress level and worry for him was almost off the scale for a couple years as I would line him out in a drainage and we would agree to meet at a certain spot at dark so I would not basically see him all day and in that high country snow flurries would blow through just adding to the stress.

I ask him years later if back then had he ever got turned around and he looked at me and smiled and replied "yeah I got confused during a couple snow storms but I knew what state I was in" The question of his capabilities has never came up again. Actually we have probably reverses roles as I'm getting up there in age. Enjoy that time with your son even if very stressful as it will soon be gone and he will be a man!

Like life, hunting can be easier and more fun with the right partner. However, the wrong partner is much worse than going alone. We hunt pheasants in groups, and it is fun. Deer and elk I hunt alone.

Grew up hunting by myself, or with my cousin. Haven't had the opportunity to hunt with my cousin in 30+ years. Still learning the Elk Business. I go to Colorado with a good group of friends. Thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie in camp. But, also enjoy the solitude on the side of a mountain...

I like solo hunting but rent a SPOT locator sattelite beacon from REI for my wife's peace of mind (and mine too).

The compromise is buddies going off solo in different directions but having radios to communicate when line-of-sight is available for signals to get through.

Grew up hunting by myself, or with my cousin. Haven't had the opportunity to hunt with my cousin in 30+ years. Still learning the Elk Business. I go to Colorado with a good group of friends. Thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie in camp. But, also enjoy the solitude on the side of a mountain...
Sounds like my situation , this past year spent 7 days alone before my partner arrived in camp . (pure relaxation) About all that we share is camp location and helping one another retrieve game. I look forward to spike camping alone this season . I have at least a couple of folks each year hit me up about going elk hunting and the first thing I do is mention tents and that usually cuts them out .:rolleyes: I tell them next that I will give some pointers on elk hunting but I am not a guide and will be spending my efforts on killing a elk that I may tag. I do enjoy camaraderie in camp but being alone hunting in the
Rockies is where the real deal is!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.