Small Rifle Primer advantages 6.5 Creedmoor

Bang4theBuck

I have been reloading with winchester brass with large rifle primers. I have been considering switching to the Lapua for the small rifle primer advantage, if there is a recognizable difference. What kind of results are you guys getting with the small rifle primers in 6.5 CM?

I load 6.5x47 Lapua brass which isn't much different. Can't seem to wear the stuff out. I've got to be on at least 20 loadings without annealing. Trimmed only twice but they're about ready for another trim. Primer pockets still tight and some of these loads have been pretty hot. Buy 100 and wear the barrel out with the same 100. Honestly, any more, when I decide on a caliber, one of the first things I consider is if Lapua makes brass for it.

I do reload with Lapua for my 308, and have had a similar experience. To clarify my question a little more, I am wondering if anyone has seen a difference in accuracy between small rifle primer loads and large rifle primer loads in the 6.5 CM caliber. I have over 150 cases prepped and have been using that are not the Lapua small rifle type, and I am debating if it was worth the switch from an accuracy standpoint.

I use small primer Lapua in both my 6.5x47 and my 6.5CM for PRS competition. With my 6.5CM I have found ES, accuracy, and case life, on par with my 6.5x47. It's well worth a try in your rifle.

I'm usually .25MOA but on a good day I can match the performance of my custom 6.5x47 using Lapua Brass with my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM. It is factory stock except for the Magpul Gen2 buttstock(note:COAL shown is an error and should be 2.810"/.050" off the lands)
285C11E4-CBDA-490E-9646-A245F4E8D9C1.jpeg

Last edited:
I use small primer Lapua in both my 6.5x47 and my 6.5CM for PRS competition. With my 6.5CM I have found ES, accuracy, and case life, on par with my 6.5x47. It's well worth a try in your rifle.

I'm usually .25MOA but on a good day I can match the performance of my custom 6.5x47 using Lapua Brass with my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM. It is factory stock except for the Magpul Gen2 buttstock
View attachment 87854

Out of curiosity, what load for the '47?

I just ordered 500 of the Starline SR. I certainly wont say they are as good as Lapua, but I've seen several very good you tube videos where it stacks up very well against Hornady, Norma, Lapua etc.

It's true that a small rifle primer cup/web/wall juncture will handle far greater pressure for longer than a large rifle primer cup in the same cartridge.
This is simple area, the smaller area withstands more pressure radially without deforming.

As far as accuracy goes, I get more consistency out of SR 6.5x47 cases with smaller ES/SD numbers and greater velocity with many many firings.

I also use SR 22-250AI Lapua cases and get similar results with better consistency and higher velocity.

The main advantage is definitely being able to use ONE BATCH of brass for the life of the barrel.

They should bring out more cartridges with SR IMHO.

Cheers.
;)

Saw a video on Johnny's Reloading Bench where he was getting hangfires using VV powder. He did some primer testing, both small and large.

Watching the video in the previous post, I think the hangfires(which occurred at both freezing and warmer temps) could very well be the result of using a double based powder, known for being more difficult to ignite, in a partially filled case which exacerbates the ignition issue. Not a good combination, particularly with a small primer at freezing temperatures. Using a double based powder, I might prefer a LR primer, especially for use in freezing temperatures.
Interesting article:
http://www.65guys.com/a-look-at-lapua-6-5-creedmoor-brass/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.