Small Rifle Primer advantages 6.5 Creedmoor

I just received 200 cases of 6.5 Creedmoor. What are your thoughts on CCI400 SRP. Also, are there any adjustments to the load data in the Berger #1 or Hornady #10 manuals.

I just received 200 cases of 6.5 Creedmoor. What are your thoughts on CCI400 SRP. Also, are there any adjustments to the load data in the Berger #1 or Hornady #10 manuals.

I have used CCI400's with great success in the 6.5 creed. Don't have those specific manuals but I made no adjustments to my recipes when going from the lrp to the srp and accuracy and velocities pretty nearly identical.

I use peterson brass with the large primers in my creedmoor. They make the small primer casing as well. I shoot a br2 primer through a tikka t3x ctr 24" barrel with rl16 for powder and a 143eldx. I have had great results with the Peterson brass but it does have a lower case capacity than hornady. Even though I dropped my powder down 1.5 grains I am still getting the same speed with no pressure signs. I'm not the best shooter but my groups have averaged .18-.38" at 100 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_8358.JPG
    IMG_8358.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 206
I'll be using Peterson SR primer .260 brass to run in my .260 AI, and also using Reloder 26, a relatively slow burning powder, but it is right at 100% density after going in through a 6" drop tube, so that should help. I plan on testing cci br-4's, cci 450's (mag primers), and Federal Small Rifle Match primers, to see which gives the best results.

So in my .260 AI, my best results were with br-4 primers. Formed brass, 49.5 grains Reloder 26, 147 ELD-M seated .010 off the lands (OAL of 2.920). The CCI sr mag primers had an e.s. of 21 fps, Federal small rifle match prumers had an e.s. of 24 fps, br-4's had an e.s. of 9, and s.d. of 4. Also the br-4's had best accuracy, 5 shot group at .435" ctc, and going 3040 fps avg.

I love Starline brass... However, I bought some of the SR 6.5 Creed brass and it doesn't seem to handle hot loads quite as well as the SR Lapua... FWIW....

Been using the CCI 450's in both the 6.5x47 and in the 6.5 Creed.. Others may work as well...

I have used Hornady large rifle brass and Lapua small rifle brass with CCI 450's. 50 to 75 FPS faster with the Lapua and cut by groups in half.

I know I had higher speeds with the SR but since my rifle is a light weight Hunting rifle I went back to LRP shoots super with either I wanted no issues with primers going bang.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.