Small rifle primer vs small pistol primer???

HUAINAMACHERO

I have a 223 Rem, dont live in the States and it is hard to get reloading stuff.
I need primers to reload for my 223 Rem, but can only get small pistol primers. Cant find here small rifle primers. Would the small pistol primers work properly to reload in 223 Rem??? I am using original Winchester 223 Rem brass, Varget powder, 55grains nosler bullets.
Thanks for the help.

I don't think you want to use pistol primers in a high pressure round like the 223Rem. The reason I advise against them is the cup is too thin and won't stand the pressure and will probably rupture. Sorry guy

I think your firing pin might punch through too easily, The SRP are harder and the base is a little thicker. I wouldn't try it.

Bill

I have used them in my hornet. Best load for it. not near as much pressure as a .223. Would it work? probably but the primer like already said might not hold up as well.

cci uses the same cups for rifle and handgun primers and its been common knowlege for years that there small pistol mag is nothing but a small rifle standard in different packaging.

cci uses the same cups for rifle and handgun primers and its been common knowlege for years that there small pistol mag is nothing but a small rifle standard in different packaging.

The problem the poster has is he only has access to SMALL PISTOL primers... by using the CCI primers he might overcome his predicament. Consult with CCI before you attempt this however. Keep your powder dry.gun)

Once upon a time I experimented putting Large Rifle standard primers in 45ACP cases. The firing pin would barely dimple the cup and numerous primers needed a double strike to fire. It really showed the difference in cup hardness. Bottom line, I'd avoid using pistol primers in rifle cases as a general rule.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.