Small caliber, LW rifle for big game

That dasher is a record setting cartridge

It will be the next barrel I order for.my switchbarrel bench gun

I've read that a 6mm BR can get the velocities I'm looking at but hear it doesn't feed from a mag well that is why I thought about a 6mm-6.5x47. ...

Your comment here caught my eye.

I run a 20BR (just 6 BR necked down) as a repeater on a Rem 700 SA. It feeds just fine as long as I'm smooth on the bolt. The BR is stupid accurate! I'd get a cartridge to try feeding in whatever action you're looking at though, just to be sure.

The 6-6.5x47 is a dandy as well (I've got one of those too). Very accurate. (see my Sig pic for example)

I built a rifle similar to what you are talking about. I chose the 6.5x284. If I had it to do over I'd do a 6.5x47L. It would be easier to find a good load, still has great brass, and it'll do quite well in the short barrel. I'd pick a 6.5 over a 6mm for killing stuff. As much as I love the dasher I wouldn't build one hoping that it would work 100% as a repeater. The rifle I built came in right at 6# with the light scope I put on it. It wasn't any fun to shoot! Kicked like a mule. Which is another reason I'd go for the smaller 6.5

Aaron

6.5x47
16 1/2 inch palms barrels
Shoots the 130's around mid 2700
Rifle is a dream to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 67
I've been mulling some ideas around for a light weight rifle build and want to start a conversation on the use of smaller calibers in this application. :cool:

The target weight of the rifle would be 5 lbs (without scope). I'm thinking #1 contour and 20" long. I don't want to use a break as a 20" barrel lends itself to close up woods hunting. To keep recoil down, I'm thinking a 107 to 130 grain bullet going 2500 to 2700 fps which for me, gives enough down range energy for big game out to 500 yards or so. gun)This is the domain of the 6mm and 6.5 as I see it.

That being said, I don't have any experience with recoil from a gun of this weight and bullet/speed combination. Is there a good recoil calculator for playing with these numbers? Personal experience?

Also, with such a short barrel, I was thinking a case designed from a 6.5x47 Lapua or perhaps a .243 since I have the setup now to use that case.:D Always looking for the right tool for the job.

6.5 Grendel or 6.5x47 Lapua

jrock,

I weighed a Kimber 84 with a postal scale. It weighed 4 pounds 15 ounces.

I've put a parts list together and I'm at 5 lbs even so not too far off...but that is with an MPI micro-light stock which would be $$$ :(

rickiesrevenge,
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the 6.5 would be better for killing stuff even thought I've had great luck with the 6mm within 200 yards. Haven't killed anything further than that to know how the 6mm performs. I'll have to run some more numbers on the calculator:D

jrock,

With a sampling of one I killed a doe with a drop at the shot with a Nosler 60 grain solid base at 222 yards from a .223 Savage. I was about 150 above. The bullet entered at the top of the sternum and exited near the diaphragm. Its muzzle velocity was 3,118 feet per second.+

Everyone knows a 6mm is bigger than a .224" bullet.

I shot the 115 Berger from a 6-284 for a while and it was an absolute hammer. They were the old style pre-hunting stuff. Blow thru a 150lb whitey from sternum to back end or blow both shoulders out on a side shot. Very impressive. Of course anytime a high SD bullet with a thin jacket hits something, it dies if anywhere near the correct spot.

I can't add to much into this, but I do like my ruger #1 in 6mm. those actions are short to begin with. wouldn't mind building one for the purpose the OP mentioned.

I expect aftermarket pieces aren't readily avail for the #1's tho?

jrock,

With a sampling of one I killed a doe with a drop at the shot with a Nosler 60 grain solid base at 222 yards from a .223 Savage. I was about 150 above. The bullet entered at the top of the sternum and exited near the diaphragm. Its muzzle velocity was 3,118 feet per second.+

Everyone knows a 6mm is bigger than a .224" bullet.

Yes, shot placement is half my theory behind considering a smaller caliber. The other half is reduced recoil. I was thinking of using a 6mm Barnes for max penetration but like the fragmenting bullets and the cost of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts