Big game rifle question?

Even the cheaper standard AR10s in .308 Winchester, 6.5 Creedmoor can be shot left-handed with the standard brass deflector on upper.
A heavier buffer helps too.

-------------------------------------------------------

Or a Lefty AR rifle :D

Then use 5-rd. magazines for hunting. (6.5 Creedmoor uses .308 mags.)
I'm a Lefty - and I use Right-handed ARs - no problemo.
Some make ARs in 7mm-08, .243 Winchester, etc. too

Last edited:
I have both .308 and 6.5 CM right-handed ARs.

Check this article out!

QUOTE:
"In October 2017, U.S. Special Operations Command tested the performance of the 7.62x51 NATO, .260 Remington, and 6.5 CM cartridges out of SR25, M110A1, and Mk20 sniper rifles. SOCOM determined that the 6.5CM performed the best, doubling hit probability at 1,000 meters, increasing effective range by nearly half, reducing wind drift by a third and having less recoil than the 7.62 NATO rounds…"

1619019916350.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
A Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag might do the job.
300 WM capacity?
3+1 -rds.

My Dad had a Browning Bar in .270 WSM, and it had a 2-rd. magazine clicked in the hinged plate. Weird. - A two-rd. semi-auto. :D
I thought: Why don't they make a hi-capacity model? - Then poof! They made the FNAR .308 with 5, 10, and 20-rd. mags.
But ARs are easier to clean and maintain.

Last edited:
Aren't any! That will us Lefties in the face....none!
If the AR upper has a standard brass deflector it will be ok - no brass in your face.
AR uppers without the deflector can use a heavier buffer (5-oz.) and the brass will fly out close to 90-degrees to the side.
AR 308s and 6.5CMs are over-gassed anyway - so put 5-oz. buffers in them. - I had to in order to have reliable no-jams in CM only - but use it for 308 lowers also.

Last edited:
I am a lefty, or actually a righty but I am left eye dominant so I have always shot guns, bows, and pool left handed.

I have owned, and still own, a lot of Browning BPS pumps over the last 40ish years, in large part due to the bottom eject. I can't do a cross face eject, it can just be a miserable experience. Granted, this is due to using a semi auto shotgun for bird hunting but I would occasionally get hit by residue coming out with the shell.

That said, I can operate a bolt fine whether it is RH or LH. I have a McM Game Hunter stock in a 30N with a right bolt. It was either get the gun well ahead of hunting season in RH or wait for a LH and get the rifle right before hunting season. I grew up shooting RH bolts so it wasn't a hard decision to get the rifle well ahead of the season even though it is a RH bolt. This is my elk gun, but some of the below could fill that need.

I have all my sporter style stocks in LH for the cheek piece, which I like to have for my deer rifles. I find it is hard to shoot LR for whitetails bc of the pop up blinds, stands, and box blinds make it hard to shoot much over 500 for me, and most whitetail is done inside of that anyway. And sporter type stocks are better all around as deer guns bc I rarely shoot deer prone. Here I have 2 280 AI's and a 30-06. I may rebarrel one of the 280's into a 6.5-284.

The exception to the above is my 11 yr old's 6.5cr. That thing is a joy to shoot and I need to do sight ins, figure out drops, load tweaking, etc, bc my son isn't quite ready for that stuff yet. It is a sporter stock with a cheek piece in RH stock and RH bolt. It is the most accurate gun I own, at least in my hands, so I can shoot it just fine. .3 MOA groups usually happen once or twice a range session.

I say all that to say that i have owned a random assortment of LH and RH bolt and stock combinations. I get the cross face thing, bc I hate it and can it make a hunt frustrating and/or miserable. But I have found that I can learn to operate a bolt well enough with a little practice. Follow up shots may not be quite as fast, but I have yet to come close to running into any issues. I can see how that may be something that folks would want to avoid but it is not a big deal for me. And bolt actions are simpler to reload for and more accurate, so my advice would be to get a LH bolt, and whatever issues he has can be overcome with practice - unless he needs a lightning fast follow up shot.
I am a lefty all my life. Used full auto firearms in Vietnam without any problems, and only shoot R.H. action. You can get a left hand action. Problems is trying to sell later on. Everybody has different thinking on what cartridge to use. So trying to sell it later on can be a big problem. I have no problem reaching over the top of the rifle to work the bolt and quickly for a follow up shot if needed. Bolt action are generally more accurate than pumps and auto's. I have both 870, and BPS shotguns. What I do like in the BPS, because the action is a lot smother.

Even the cheaper standard AR10s in .308 Winchester, 6.5 Creedmoor can be shot left-handed with the standard brass deflector on upper.
A heavier buffer helps too.

-------------------------------------------------------

Or a Lefty AR rifle :D

Then use 5-rd. magazines for hunting. (6.5 Creedmoor uses .308 mags.)
I'm a Lefty - and I use Right-handed ARs - no problemo.
Some make ARs in 7mm-08, .243 Winchester, etc. too

Must not be you in the picture then!🤣