Small caliber, LW rifle for big game

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I've been mulling some ideas around for a light weight rifle build and want to start a conversation on the use of smaller calibers in this application. :cool:

The target weight of the rifle would be 5 lbs (without scope). I'm thinking #1 contour and 20" long. I don't want to use a break as a 20" barrel lends itself to close up woods hunting. To keep recoil down, I'm thinking a 107 to 130 grain bullet going 2500 to 2700 fps which for me, gives enough down range energy for big game out to 500 yards or so. gun)This is the domain of the 6mm and 6.5 as I see it.

That being said, I don't have any experience with recoil from a gun of this weight and bullet/speed combination. Is there a good recoil calculator for playing with these numbers? Personal experience?

Also, with such a short barrel, I was thinking a case designed from a 6.5x47 Lapua or perhaps a .243 since I have the setup now to use that case.:D Always looking for the right tool for the job.

I've been mulling some ideas around for a light weight rifle build and want to start a conversation on the use of smaller calibers in this application. :cool:

The target weight of the rifle would be 5 lbs (without scope). I'm thinking #1 contour and 20" long. I don't want to use a break as a 20" barrel lends itself to close up woods hunting. To keep recoil down, I'm thinking a 107 to 130 grain bullet going 2500 to 2700 fps which for me, gives enough down range energy for big game out to 500 yards or so. gun)This is the domain of the 6mm and 6.5 as I see it.

That being said, I don't have any experience with recoil from a gun of this weight and bullet/speed combination. Is there a good recoil calculator for playing with these numbers? Personal experience?

Also, with such a short barrel, I was thinking a case designed from a 6.5x47 Lapua or perhaps a .243 since I have the setup now to use that case.:D Always looking for the right tool for the job.

Might want to look at this
ShootersCalculator.com | Grendel VS 308

In the howa lightweight mini bolt action

you might want to do a 6.5CM in that light of a gun,I used to shoot silhouette competition and a 308 with 190 grain bullets will have a lot of recoil in a light rifle I was using a Rem Mountain Hunter rifle to see how it worked and I did not care for the recoil.I would use a 120 grain bullet of high quality.

you might want to do a 6.5CM in that light of a gun,I used to shoot silhouette competition and a 308 with 190 grain bullets will have a lot of recoil in a light rifle I was using a Rem Mountain Hunter rifle to see how it worked and I did not care for the recoil.I would use a 120 grain bullet of high quality.

Yep

I was talking about the grendel. Bad choice comparison.

I use 168's in my 308. Wouldn't want to shoot very many of those 190's

I have a grendel and it is a fun gun to shoot. Great ballistics and surprising performance on game.

That howa only weighs 5.5#. with a lightweight stock you could probably cut that

I have a creedmoor too! Awesome long range cartridge and fun to shoot.

Thanks for the link the calculator. I'll be playing with that nice little tool. That howa mini is very intriguing. Will have to look into that more.

7-08 seems to fit nicely for what you want.
Even a AI version would be very cool..
Might have to go with a longer barrel for the AI though..

6x45mm is my fave in this category. It's just .223rem necked up to 6mm (.243). Almost no recoil to speak of even in a 5lbs rifle and kills deer dead to considerable distance. I'd do something like pick up a Mossberg MVP in .223 as a base rifle, replace the barrel (if you need companies that will do you a pre-fit LMK via PM) with a 16" 6x45mm pipe in a nice thin #1 contour and then either find a plastic MVP stock or buzz one of the wood stocks from the patrol model down to a minimum size. Then you'll make weight. If you do something on a case with a .473" case head I don't think you'll make weight very easily nor do I think you'll pull it off with a 20" pipe.

A #1 contour at 16" estimates out at 2.2lbs for just the barrel. Add the nearly 2lbs for the bolt and action of an MVP and you've got just enough left for a thinned stock and still make 5lbs before scope.

6x45mm with a 85gn PSP you can easily get 2900fps from giving you plenty to swat a deer out to 500yrds. Such a rifle would be stupid light and great to carry. It'll be fast pointing as hell too. Stab a 1-6x optic on it and you're set for everything the rifle can do.

Recoil calculator: Recoil Calculator

We just got a 257-6.5x47 done. The rifle that we did is not as light as what you are after but I would think the cartridge would be ideal for what you want. Do not do the standard 10" twist. We ordered a 7" twist and the barrel manufacture messed up and made the barrel in 8" twist. Kind of a bummer as we were wanting to run our 128g bullet. It shoots very well with our 103g at about 3300fps.

Steve

I've read that a 6mm BR can get the velocities I'm looking at but hear it doesn't feed from a mag well that is why I thought about a 6mm-6.5x47.

I shoot 100 gr. Hornady SPBT interlocks in my .243 and they have really put down the deer. I would defiantly want to stay above 100 grains for both BC and weight retention. I was thinking of using the 115 Berger but I've read that it isn't as dependable on the terminal side as the 105 or for that mater 130 grain 6.5mm. Probably trying to split hairs.

Was thinking of getting an MPI stock to cut weight but they are pricy.

Maybe 2500 fps is too slow of an expectation for even a 20" barrel with most case designs???

If you're gonna use a 223 case wildcat use a cz527 action! Can't beat the trigger and you can't find a light action with controlled round feed.

I used a 221 fireball 527 and the old 50XLC for a hog in Texas. made a 50 cal hole exit, big holes in lungs/top of heart. I also used a rebarreled Mod 700 SA in the 6mm/223 mag ( 6x47mm) and the 85gr XBT on Axis deer and Oryx like nobodies business! Before that I used a 220 Swift barrel on a Mod 7 synthetic and used the Federal 55gr Bearclaw factory load they used to make. I killed Axis deer/blackbuck antelope, and mule deer with it. I used a 224 TTH ( 224/6mm Remington) and the 75gr Swift on a huge, 300 lb hog, drt. A fast twist .22 with good bullets will do it, but for a pure "cutie" I really enjoyed that 6x47, but it had a 27" barrel.

Been playing with that calculator and didn't realize what a difference the case efficiency (power charge) makes on recoil energy. I was thinking of just sticking to the .243 since I have the equipment but now a dasher or something smaller makes more sense to get that 107 bullet or so going 2700 fps out of a short tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts