amax for big game

yea i would like to see what people think of useing amax for hunting. they are accurate as any bullet that i have shot with great bc. 140 6.5 162 7mm even 105 243. just looking for opinions. thanks

Try an amax search on here and you can read for hours. For deer size game and smaller they are all I shoot. They expand at virtually any range. I have kiled deer from 20 yards to 850 and coyotes out to 1150. There is always a big hole and a dead critter. I have loaded every amax made in the larger cals but haven't played with the 6mm 105. I don't know why it wouldn't work but I think I would avoid bone at close range on larger animals.

I love them for up to large deer size critters. IE: mule deer and average size caribou. NOT moose or elk.

They work absolutely awesome from medium velocity calibers and marginal for hyper velocity magnums. They will fragment very dramatic during high velocity impacts. On larger game, that can hinder penetration.

They are great big game bullets when used at longer ranges where velocity has slowed down, otherwise they are like a bomb up close.

I've killed several coyotes, couple muley bucks, and 1 bull elk with the 7mm 162g amax at 2950fps from 200 yards on out to 1100 yards.

Super accurate bullets, cheaper then dirt, great BCs, awesome dual purpose bullet for targets/game. Cant be beat IMO.

I shoot a .308 with the 178 amax at 2780fps. At the "slower" velocities of the .308 they have been superb. The antelope (350yds) and mulie (397yds) I took this year dropped with one shot and both were complete pass thrus. I have attached photos of the enterance (2nd photo) and exit (1st photo) wounds from the mulie.

Attachments

• P1010735edit.jpg
    P1010735edit.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 220
  • P1010738.jpg
    P1010738.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 221
  • P1010739.jpg
    P1010739.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
1 use 30 cal 168 extensively! around 2850 mv. although i must say at closer ranges, they are a bit fragile but ive killed deer and even elk out to 700 yrds with suprisingly vilent wound channels and bullet fragmentation. acturate and deadly!

I asked this same question last year. The replies were about the same. I load 105 Amax's for my brother, every deer he has shot dropped on the spot with the exception of the 1 he shot 3 weeks ago, she went almost 10 yards. I've been loading for him 4 years now. Last year was the 1st time I used them in my .260, 140 Amax 3 deer in 40 minutes, 2 Bucks 1 Doe, DEAD,DEAD,DEAD. The exit wounds were not like a Nosler BT, the internal damage was as good as a NBT, the end results were the same. Leaving Thursday to hunt and the .260 with the 140 Amax is going with me. Oh yeah the post on here are endless, all that I read were positive results like I have witnessed.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.