Silencerco 46 hybrid on Ruger American 450 Bushmaster.

higgan

I just got a Silencerco Hybrid 46 on my Ruger American 450 Bushmaster. Shooting subsonic ammo and it is still much louder than I expected. I have seen a 6.5 creedmoor shot through a 30 cal suppressor with subsonic ammo that is whisper quiet. Why is this Bushmaster so much louder?

I just got a Silencerco Hybrid 46 on my Ruger American 450 Bushmaster. Shooting subsonic ammo and it is still much louder than I expected. I have seen a 6.5 creedmoor shot through a 30 cal suppressor with subsonic ammo that is whisper quiet. Why is this Bushmaster so much louder?
If you have a sound meter of app on your phone try taking a sound reading and then match to the Manufacture specks.

We have SWR Octane HD for the.45 & 9mm Subsonic and still loud.
YHM .556 Phantom QD super Sonic Loud
YHM 7.26 Phantom QD Super sonic with mu .260 Rem. Still loud.
Now I mean loud but you can shoot without hearing protection.
I have not tried Sub sonic in the .5.56 or the .260

They are not like in the movies especially war movies. Those Suppressor sounds are fake.

Now I have seen some suppressors from the Seals & Marines used on M-4s that were almost whisper quiet. They have special suppressors and ammo. The real good ones go to the Snipers. There is still noise, but no flash.

There are a lot of companies providing suppressor to the Services that are the same that we use for civilian life. Those go to the troops mainly for hearing protection/ flash suppression in CQC.

If you have a sound meter of app on your phone try taking a sound reading and then match to the Manufacture specks.

We have SWR Octane HD for the.45 & 9mm Subsonic and still loud.
YHM .556 Phantom QD super Sonic Loud
YHM 7.26 Phantom QD Super sonic with mu .260 Rem. Still loud.
Now I mean loud but you can shoot without hearing protection.
I have not tried Sub sonic in the .5.56 or the .260

They are not like in the movies especially war movies. Those Suppressor sounds are fake.

Now I have seen some suppressors from the Seals & Marines used on M-4s that were almost whisper quiet. They have special suppressors and ammo. The real good ones go to the Snipers. There is still noise, but no flash.

There are a lot of companies providing suppressor to the Services that are the same that we use for civilian life. Those go to the troops mainly for hearing protection/ flash suppression in CQC.
Coyote Shadow Tracker, thank you for the reply. I will see if I can download a sound meter app and play with that.
I guess I was just expecting it to be quieter with the subsonic ammo, especially after I have seen how quiet my nephews 6.5 creedmoor is.

My hybrid is the loudest can I own aside from my surefire mini but it's built for modularity and not so much for sound suppression. With that being said mine basically lives on a 6mm with a 30cal anchor brake. Are you running it direct thread? I've noticed to my ear it sounds a little quieter using an asr mount and brake vs direct thread.

I can get my 300 BLK Hollyqood quiet. But what you're up against is can volume versus gas volume. 3x the powder charge of a 300 Blackout, larger bore, and the Hybrid 46 is a good bit smaller than the TBAC 338 Ultra I'm using on that rifle. Powder figures into it also, some are louder than others.

I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations - a Saker 556K on an AR-15 shooting XM193 isn't even hearing safe, much less the Goldeneye 007 metallic zing zing zing. A lot of suppressor effect is tonality, not even total amplitude (how loud it is).

I have a hybrid 46 and have used it on 300blk and 357 subs, it is pretty quiet. That said, my primary hunting rifle is a 6.5 cm with tbac ultra 7. It isn't real quiet with a fast 120grn, but other hunters over a ridge don't hear it. My quietest is a 9mm AR sub load through a Ti-rant...you can't hear it over a running ranger.

There are a lot of variables like tone, location in relation to muzzle, powder choice, can volume, and velocity super/sub (actual versus advertised). Many 300blk rounds advertised as sub aren't in my guns. I bought a sound meter to test and see how my impressions matched reality.

I have a hybrid 46 and it was very quiet with 45-70 subs, the sound of steel at 100 was much louder than the shot.

That being said 30 cal cans are much quieter then .45 cal cans due to the smaller diameter all else being equal.

Just wondering if you shot it through a chronograph to see if the ammo is subsonic through your rifle? I was thinking about getting a hybrid 46.
This is the question needed to be ask. If you don't know muzzle velocity your going to be spinning your wheels. I have a hybrid 46 on a AR 450 bushy and it can get quiet.

The Hybrid is a great can. It's nice to have the option to replace the front cap to match caliber being shot. I'm always afraid I'll forget to put larger end cap on when time ;)
That being said, "Universal means it will work on anything, but probably won't do anything perfectly".

The Hybrid is a great can. It's nice to have the option to replace the front cap to match caliber being shot. I'm always afraid I'll forget to put larger end cap on when time ;)
That being said, "Universal means it will work on anything, but probably won't do anything perfectly".

On that note a 45 cal muzzleloader does a number on a 30 cal anchor brake.

I thought I would include a pic

Attachments

• Hybrid357.jpg
    Hybrid357.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 32