SIG Kilo 2400 with Applied Ballistics!!

Here's from the owner's manual verbatim:

"We will repair or replace you SIG SAUER product in the event it becomes damaged or defective, at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it."
(I made the last sentence bold)

SIG SAUER Infinite Guarantee

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
  • Fully Transferable
  • No Warranty Card Required
  • No Receipt Required
  • No Time Limit Applies
  • No Charge
~Robert

That's the icing on the cake for me. No worries about damage or components failing. You shouldn't spend 1500-2000.00 then come out of pocket for a repair 2 years into ownership like what I'm reading with the other Rangefinder manufacturers.

I'm probably still going to wait a bit until there's enough out there to work out any bugs or links but I will definitely be getting one before fall hunting season.

I have not spent a lot of time using the 2400 with the anemometer attached to my phone. As posted earlier my first attempt was finding out that the attachment fits directly into my iPhone with the waterproof LifeProof case but not with the Mophie battery case. The Mophie requires the skinny plug adapter Mophie supplies. The other side here is with the new iPhones abandoning the mini-pin plug altogether now you're going to end up with a dongle adapter anyway.

With all that said, I didn't use an anemometer anyway with my G7 BR2. I have a Kestrel but rely more on mirage and other indicators more than not. My Kestrel was more for confirming my other readings.

Hopefully I can get out to the range today and finally give the 2400 a workout!

~Robert

PHP:
[PHP][PHP]
[/PHP][/PHP]
Yes I do have this concern as well. However, not sure if it is really something to worry about?

The aerodynamic jump feature would not be correct until you get lucky and direction of wind is exactly what you programmed in as your default in the Kilo. I do not think this is a real issue even out to 1,000 yards but after that it could factor in.

I will never be without my Kestrel 5700 Elite (need to justify keeping Kestrel). If I understand the mobile app, I can get a accurate wind reading and plug it into app and sync it to the Kilo and have actual conditions.

Then again, time permitting just use supplied wind meter and call it done!

I read in the manual that Kestrels will not Bluetooth with Kilo at this time. I wonder if they are considering adding this to the Kilo 2400 in future revisions?

Overall I am really liking this unit. Hell what's not to like? I still need to range at distance and that will be the true test for me. Hopefully this afternoon I can find some elk in the foothills.

Ray

PHP:

DO NOT take your rifle while you are ranging elk!:D

I just thought I would mention that unlike the BR2 the 2400 isn't just giving you a wind correction if you for example are running the unit with 10mph from 9:00, between 700 and 750 yards you will have .5 moa added to your wind for spin drift and depending on direction of fire another .25 added for Coriolis. From 3:00 it would be subtracted of course. It could also be adding in up to .5 moa for aerodynamic jump. One example would be if a shot presented itself at 740yds and there was a zero wind situation, you throw up the 2400 and range. It outputs 14.5 up and 3.5 left. Being that there is zero wind you dial the 14.5 up. With the aerodynamic jump added you are now shooting .5 moa high and with the spin drift not accounted for you will be off .5 moa on your horizontal. depending on direction of fire you could also be out another .25 on the horizontal. These aren't huge errors but they are there.

So if you just leave the wind set on say 10mph on the 2400 and try to divide and multiply the wind value you have set to match the actual conditions it will get tricky.

It would be nice for hunters if there was a more efficient way to adjust wind direction and speed right on the unit but that would likely mean more buttons

Anyone know why they couldn't have made it for the wind meter to plug into it for a wind impute if so desired?

Exactly! Don't want to depend on my phone for updating field conditions.
My Kestrel has AB all I need to do with it is input my range. I guess it is a pick your poison deal... overall sounds like the 2400 is a very nice unit. IMO you can do it 500 cheaper with a Kestrel and a 2200.

For me the wind at my location is rarely what I am inputting for my solution, so as a stand alone unit I think it would be nice if the 2400 had a up and down button on it like the BR2 to adjust wind up and down quickly right on the unit. The mode button could also be dual purpose like the BR2 and if you just push the button it could move the hand on the clock around with each push for wind direction, and holding it down for 3 seconds will take you into the menu as it is now.

That would make it a truly stand alone unit that would be efficient and easy.
Put that in a set of bino's and you would have my dream set up, lol

I finally got out to the range today working on a load for my Ruger RPR 6.5 CM. It's not much but this was based on the dope from the 2400 at 411 yards with a 7 mph wind from 9 o'clock. I dialed exactly what it called for. I know 411 isn't very far but it's the best I could do for today.

~Robert

Attachments

• IMG_6805.jpg
    IMG_6805.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 100
...What App or program are you using in that picture that measures the group size?...

The app is SubMOAPro. It's a great app but not super intuitive. You can create and print a ton of information on your targets, I'm just using minimal settings and there's even less if you just want super basics.

~Robert

Went out yesterday afternoon about 1 1/2 hours before dark. It was overcast and just before the snow started. Visibility was good.

Setup two manfrotto tripods, one with a borrowed Vectronics Terrapin rangefinder and the other with the Kilo 2400. Could not find deer or Elk but had several small groups of Black Angus.

Both rangefinders easily ranged cows ranging between 850-900 yards as they fed. The display brightness was way better in the 2400's. Really liked the instant firing solution seen through the kilo and also on the phone app. I played with putting my own wind solution using app and it is under 15 seconds to sync to the Kilo. Kind of cool.
Picked another group of moo cows and this time they were just shy of 1500 yards. The Kilo's ranged these cows time and time again. However, I did have several misses but eventually got them. The Terrapins never missed, I got a result every single time at 1500 yards. Inclination was about 1 degree and both rangefinders were surprisingly within a couple yards.

Next I moved out across the pasture and started ranging trees. Cedars and Pondarosa pines. This is where the similarities ended! The furthest I could get a range with Kilo's was 1,581 yards. I tried several times using scan mode as well.

Before I comment on the Terrapins performance I need to mention that mine are broken. I am not happy at all with Vectronics and there service. It is very disappointing to have to pay 1500-2000 dollars to get them repaired and 6-12 months to get them back!
Now that my rant is over.....The Terrapins kicked butt past 1,600 yards. I ranged tress from 1,600 to just past a whopping 3,700 yards. That's right 3,700!

Need to stress that this was my first outing with the Kilo 2400 and I need more time to get familiar with them. I really really liked them right up until they reached there advertised range.

I have never shot a live animal past 1,285 yards. I think the Kilo's would do what I need in 99% of my hunting conditions. Anyway, this was my first impression with a unfamiliar rangefinder.

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.