Sierra Bullets

Waynzee

Hi fellas, anybody reloading Sierra bullets and what do you think of them for hunting and target accuracy.

Yes....
A lot of different Sierra bullets, for a lot of different rifles, in a lot of different calibers, for a lot of different uses.
If they were full of suck, they wouldn't have been the gold standard for as long as they've been.

Want anything more specific, gotta ask it.

I may like 'em in my rifle, you may not like 'em in yours. But I shoot a 6br and you shoot a 6.5/284. Buy a box of a hundred, try 'em and see what you think. My opinion doesn't make much difference if they don't suit your needs.

I am a huge fan of the Sierra SMK's in my target/competition rifles(6mmAR, 308, 30-06, 260,223). I have been hesitant to use the SMK on game since Sierra discourages this. For hunting over many I used the various Sierra hunting bullets(GK,BK,etc.) which proved to be accurate and perform well on game at moderate ranges. However, for LRH where high ballistic coefficients are preferred, there are better alternatives. IMO

Sierra bullets seemed to be more consistent in dimensions and weight way back but I think other bullet makers have caught up in that regard. They are a good product, but I don't like the Game Kings even though others out there swear by them. JMHO

I am a huge fan of the Sierra SMK's in my target/competition rifles(6mmAR, 308, 30-06, 260,223). I have been hesitant to use the SMK on game since Sierra discourages this. For hunting over many I used the various Sierra hunting bullets(GK,BK,etc.) which proved to be accurate and perform well on game at moderate ranges. However, for LRH where high ballistic coefficients are preferred, there are better alternatives. IMO

Yep, I think you're right on. I've never shot any game beyond 500 yards so Sierra bullets have always worked well for me. And I've never lost any game animal due to poor bullet construction with the Sierra bullets.
Thanks for your opinion.

I've found that Sierra Pro Hunters are consistently the most accurate bullets for whatever caliber I try them in.

They are usually my go-to for new calibers to start out with.

The main draw back to them is they are not as stoutly constructed as some other brands, and have tendency to come apart in the smaller, faster calibers at close range. Since everything in Florida is close range by western standards, this has lead to some spectacular failures.

In .26 cal and above, non magnum cartridges, I believe you'll be well pleased with their performance.

I've found that Sierra Pro Hunters are consistently the most accurate bullets for whatever caliber I try them in.

They are usually my go-to for new calibers to start out with.

The main draw back to them is they are not as stoutly constructed as some other brands, and have tendency to come apart in the smaller, faster calibers at close range. Since everything in Florida is close range by western standards, this has lead to some spectacular failures.

In .26 cal and above, non magnum cartridges, I believe you'll be well pleased with their performance.

I agree 100%. In my experience Sierra game bullets are designed for impact velocities under 3000 fps. For example one of the most accurate game bullets I have ever shot in my custom Rem, 700 25-06 is the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullet. It averages 3000 fps at the muzzle. From between 20ish to around 180 yards this bullet will usually totally expand going through both shoulder of a deer and you will find just the jacket under the hide on the off side. Beyond 180 yards it usually exits. Does not matter because 99% of the time it is BANG FLOP. When you speed that bullet up like in a 257 Weatherby Mag to 3300 or so fps muzzle velocity inside 100 yards you can have problems with light penetration like blowing a shoulder off of a deer and not getting into the vitals which my hunting buddy found out a few times. He switched to Nosler partition and later Barnes bullets and had no more problems.

SMKs rock for accuracy. TMKs looking good also.

Hi fellas, anybody reloading Sierra bullets and what do you think of them for hunting and target accuracy.

I have used them for over 30 years .. the 150 gr BTSP .308 rifle , the key to every bullet is the powder charge......I shot a bunch of critters with them..

Good Morning, Waynezee,

Hunters can spend a buck or more per bullet. I don't think that they'll kill deader than GameKings suitable for game hunted.

At one time, Partitions were considered the gold standard heavy game bullets. I've used them. They are excellent. But I'm reevaluating. I'm likely to go with 160 GK's for 7MM Rem Mag for elk and 150 grain .270 Win GK's for elk.

I doubt that there is a more devastating deer bullet than GK's.

Arguably the most accurate bullets I've fired are GK's with Ballistic Tips close behind.

Good Morning, Waynezee,

Hunters can spend a buck or more per bullet. I don't think that they'll kill deader than GameKings suitable for game hunted.

At one time, Partitions were considered the gold standard heavy game bullets. I've used them. They are excellent. But I'm reevaluating. I'm likely to go with 160 GK's for 7MM Rem Mag for elk and 150 grain .270 Win GK's for elk.

I doubt that there is a more devastating deer bullet than GK's.

Arguably the most accurate bullets I've fired are GK's with Ballistic Tips close behind.

Yep, the 160 GK's is what I've used too in my 7mag but for deer and hog and 165 GK's in my 30/06 and most of my shots are under 300 yards and as close as 25 yards never had one fail.

Yes sir! I like a lot of different makes, but Sierras are one I always try in about every rifle I've had since the mid 70's!

Run a long for caliber SMK and it will flat out FUBAR any animal out there. Sectional density matters. I have killed whitetails with the 69SMK, 105SMK, 168SMK, 220SMK, 240SMK and the King of them all the 300 SMK.
I don't rely on bullet construction. Construction can fail, physics doesnt.
Run the longest for caliber SMK and stuff is gonna die quick.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts