Sierra 140gr.HPBT for 284 Remington

taiseyd

I have just purchased some 140 gr. HPBT Sierra Gamekings.These are new bullets and I need some help with reload data> I am using IMR 4831 with cci 200 primers and Remington cases.I am currently using 50.6 gr shooting 140gr SPBT gamekings @3.29 COAL.Would like to know COAL for the 140gr HPBT.

Thanks D

I would be happy to discuss this with you. You don't have to stick with a particular overall length. There is a great section in Nosler's reloading book on the subject but I can do an overview here.

Most handloading books mention an OAL but if you are using a bolt action rifle you can seat the bullet anywhere you desire within certain parameters. Obviously a short bullet or a very long bullet has its limitations.

I generally start by seating a bullet in a dummy round to fit and feed from the magazine and then check to see if it is engaging the rifling. Polish the jacket with some fine steel wool so any rifling marks will be visible. If the bullet touches I will seat the bullet off the rifling but leave the OAL as long as possible. Then I work up a series of powder charges and see how the rifle performs.

Thanks for the reply.I have already seated the rounds of the 140 grain SPBT and since I am new at this game,I was not really sure if the procedure was the same for a totally different bullet.The HPBT is slightly longer in length.
Thanks again for the info. D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.