Sierra 140 GK in 280 Remington

Leslie Sapp

I don't have a sierra manual. Does anyone have starting and max hybrid 100v loads for the 140 gr Gameking in 280 Remington? The Hodgdon site has one for the Nosler partition, but not the Gameking.

My Sierra manual (Edition 5, 8th Printing) does not list Hybrid 100v as an option for 140 grain SGK's.

If it were me, I would probably use Hodgdon's 280 Rem data for the 140 grain partition for the SGK, working up toward the max. In the past, I've used Sierra's for practice (I reload for 10 different calibers) and they are hands-down the most consistently accurate bullet I've used. Also, don't be afraid to load heavy for caliber with SGK's. I'm now reloading them for hunting purposes in several of my rifles. For me, accuracy trumps as I am not a particularly good marksman.

"If it were me, I would probably use Hodgdon's 280 Rem data for the 140 grain partition for the SGK, working up toward the max."

That's exactly what I did. I'm loading for a Model 70 featherweight, 22" barrel. The Hodgdon Hybrid 100v data for the 140 gr partition out of a 24" barrel shows a 50 gr starting load and a velocity of 2669. The max load is 54 grs and a velocity of 2847.
I put together three rounds of 50 grs of Hydrid 100v, winchester brass, CCI magnum primer, 140 gr gameking, COL 3.230.
Those three rounds, the first I've fired from this rifle, made a .731 group at 100 yards.
I'd be ecstatic at that, except the chronograph average was 2940.....
No pressure signs, period.
If it were close, I might call it good, but 100 fps over the listed 24" barrel max from a 22" tube from a starting load makes me a little cautious.

Please don't take this wrong but, every rifle is different, and load data is, at best, a guide. There are just too many variable that can affect velocity and accuracy including bullet seating depth, among other things. My thoughts are only my humble opinion.

I too, would be a little concerned with the velocity recorded, from a minimum load, especially if you expect to be hunting in warmer temperatures. Have you considered trying a CCI 200 primer or other large rifle primer instead of a magnum primer and adjust your charge accordingly. I've not used this powder and have no idea as to it's load performance or temperature sensitivity...just giving you my thoughts.

Yes, I thought about a regular large rifle primer. I also think that I have some wiggle room in COL. I didn't try to find the lands yet, I just took an "average" COL from similar bullets in several manuals. I suspect part of the issue is that the base of the Gameking boattail is seated farther in the case than the Partition is. Seating it farther out should lower pressure somewhat.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.