Sierra .284 175gr SBT Game kings?

enigma

This Rifle season for whitetail deer.I was using these bullets With a 60grain of IMR 4831 load in a 7mm rem mag with 26 inch barrel , Sierra in the reloading book says the bullet out of a 26 inch barrel is going about 2900 fps.I shot two doe's at about 100 yards the bullet pretty much blow up and didn't go throw the deers body. The doe's dressed out were between 120-130lbs.The shots on the does were throw the shoulder quartering shots the the bullet hit the thick front leg bone and went throw just behind the rids in the stomach muscle and the bullet lodged in the skin, I found both bullets or what was left the base they weighted about 60grains each the base of the bullets. I would of hated to shoot a elk with it and hit the big leg bone of a elk I don't think the bullet would do the job.Any body else use this bullet and load or close to it?

Sierra makes very accurate bullets, but my experience is that they do not hold up as well as others do on game. I saw 180 Game Kings from a 30-06 blow up on a cow elk once and I had some 165s fail to even open on a deer shot with a .308. I shot a coyote with the same load at about 35 yards and the core separated. It went full length of the coyote and did not exit at 35 yards. Some of their bullets seem to have a following for big game, but I don't trust them on anything bigger than a deer. I have never shot them from my 7 mags. Nosler and Hornady only for me-accuracy and performance.

They definitely are my go-to for my 22-250, though. 1365 is the most accurate bullet that I have ever shot in any rifle.

I think it's actually more their gameking bullets that at times have issues. I've run the 7mm140 grain pro-hunter flat base out of dang near every 7mm I've owned and they hold up fine- all the way to 7rum speeds. I ran a 140 pro hunter (from a 7rem @ 3200 fps launch) through a white tail hip socket at 300 yards (quartering running shot) and it held 60% after going through the bone. I have no issues with sierra pills myself and will likely either run the 140 pro hunter or 171 barnes match in the 7rum I just picked up as I've got plenty of both on the shelf.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.