SHV VS VX6 vs march

I was really down to a VX6 and March. I wish I had looked harder at NF but I am happy with my March. I would have considered the NXS rather than the SHV, but that is personal choice I guess.

I had a couple of VX6 2x12's and wasn't thrilled with them. The power ring got sticky midway through and wasn't smooth. The clicks were mushy compared to other scopes, and I had heard (but never experienced) canted reticles and other issues, so I stayed away. I do have first hand experience with the customer service and it is top notch, but didn't want to take that chance on the initial quality given the amount of money I had in the gun. I was comparing the 3x18 to the March.

What sold me on the March was the huge 2.5-25 power range, along with being solid in every other area. The warranty is officially 5 years, but my understanding is that is based on Japanese laws and they will stand behind it longer than that.

I couldn't find a March to evaluate locally, so when I ordered from Kelbly's I was given the option to return it if I didnt like it, assuming I didn't mount it. But I kept it and am happy I did.

VX6 - Great glass, weight and eyebox ( best in class IMO ). I own many different Leupolds from the vari-x 1's to the MK 8's and I have never had the supposed issues stated above. A lot of the criticism is just re-hashed BS.

March - Great glass, ok weight, ok reticles, ok eyebox. Paralax adjustment range is a little narrow at long range but once you get used to it not a problem.

Nightforce - Have not tried the new SHV's but I do use a 5.5-22x50 NXS and it is top notch in everything except weight - heavy. One question I have had on the SHV is why a 56mm objective for a 14 power scope?? A 40-44mm objective would have been a perfect fit. Resolution suffers on a larger objective and costs more to correct. Same scope, one 56mm and one 44mm and the 44mm will have better resolution every time.

coyotezapper,

VX6 - Great glass, weight and eyebox ( best in class IMO ).A 40-44mm objective would have been a perfect fit. Resolution suffers on a larger objective and costs more to correct. Same scope, one 56mm and one 44mm and the 44mm will have better resolution every time.

That's he exact opposite of what I've heard. Never compared them side by side, though. I do know the Nightforce with the 56mm objective was the best optics my gunsmith ever looked through. It was markedly better for resolving detail than the Swarovski with a 52mm objective.

coyotezapper,

That's he exact opposite of what I've heard. Never compared them side by side, though. I do know the Nightforce with the 56mm objective was the best optics my gunsmith ever looked through. It was markedly better for resolving detail than the Swarovski with a 52mm objective.

Well when you get to top of the line scopes I think it is more opinion than that one is better than another. They might have different features you like more than another but as far as getting the job done they will all work just fine.

I have been a loyal Leupold fan for well over 40 years. They do the job for me. Newest ones I have bought are VX-6. I have 3 of them and I like them.

Well when you get to top of the line scopes I think it is more opinion than that one is better than another. They might have different features you like more than another but as far as getting the job done they will all work just fine.

I have been a loyal Leupold fan for well over 40 years. They do the job for me. Newest ones I have bought are VX-6. I have 3 of them and I like them.

My favorite right now is a VX-6 4-24X52. The turret is sure mushy, but it has stayed put where I sighted it.

I went with the 3 to 18 VX6 for my new Nosler 28. Love the scope. The turrets get 20 MOA per revolution so the clicks are very close together resulting in the "mushy" feel. I have no problem with that and like the 20 MOA per rev as it makes it fast to dial. Also love the popup to zero feature. Optics are great.

I went with the 3 to 18 VX6 for my new Nosler 28. Love the scope. The turrets get 20 MOA per revolution so the clicks are very close together resulting in the "mushy" feel. I have no problem with that and like the 20 MOA per rev as it makes it fast to dial. Also love the popup to zero feature. Optics are great.

Thanks for explaining the "mushy" feel. I really like mine.

The mushy feel is has little to do with click spacing. IE the Z5 has a wider spaced 13.5 per turn and is also mushy, the March has a closer 25moa per turn and is precise extremely positive and audible.
The March is a tier above the VX6 and SHV, and it offers more, if its worth the extra money or not is an individual choice. I had a VX 6 3-18 for a while, its a competent scope and reasonable value but I didnt like the mushy turret, stiff magnification ring , the reticle in mine was off/canted and the long front bell limited mounting options unless you use a rail. Iv had the March 42mm hunting since 2008 and now also have 52mm Tactical March. The VX 6 is gone.

The 52mm has the advantage of a larger exit pupil and I find it noticeable but not mind blowing. My aging eyes can only use 5-5.5mm so the 42mm scope on 7.5x gives the same picture as the 52mm on 9.5x be it slightly smaller in the 42mm. I actually prefer the 42mm hunting, its more compact and the paralex is more forgiving than the 52mm version.
IMG_0240_zps0ydgxwlo.jpg

Scopes are a very personal preference. I have Leopold, Swarovski, and have used S&B as well as Unertals'. Different scopes for different task. You need to define your criteria. Long range turret twister? Set it and leave it. occasional adjustments in the field, or range hold over recticle.

Do you need light weight or not. What is heavy or light to you.

As you can see there are a lot of things to consider. Once these things are known. People can help you with an informed decision with out the personal bias weighing as heavily in their advise.

I've never looked through a March, so I can't give an honest opinion! As far as the rest, I've looked side by side through NXS, VX-6, Swaro, Ziess & SHV, All were nice but if I had to put in an order with optics, usability and PRICE, I would choose them in the order I listed them above! I ended up going with the 3-18-44 VX-6 with external turrets, I was on a budget, never looked back, love the scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.