Vx5hd vs vx3i vs shv

Zmgsvt

Looking at a scope for purely hunting and want the best light transmission.

Vx5hd 3-15x44 30 mm sf
Shv 2-10x42
Vx3i 4.5-14x50 30mm sf

Leaning towards the vx5hd but not sure if the 50mm objective of the 3i will actually be better in low light situations.

Thanks

Exit pupil will be plenty large enough on any of those 3 for transmission to your eye. What it comes down to is glass coatings and quality. Best thing for you to do is look through all 3 and see what your eye likes best. I haven't looked through the vx5 yet but the SHV was noticably better to my eye than the VX-3i as I looked through them side by side.

I put the VX5 HD 3-15x44 CDS firedot on my new Tikka T3X 22-250 and the scope is amazing for the price. I looked hard at the Nightforce scopes and after reading reviews on the VX5 I think I made the right choice. Have a free custom dial being built at the Leupold custom shop now. Picked my scope up for $825, so there are deals out there.

IMG_4012.PNG
IMG_3892.JPG
I have both the vx 5 hd 3x15x56 fire dot and the 5x20x56 SHV moar illuminated and for low light hunting I would choose the VX5 Hd with the fire dot .

Zmgsvt,

If you can handle a 56mm objective take a look at this.

I have some new info about the Leupold VX-5. Yesterday, 8/23/17, one the VX-5 3-15X56 arrived at my house. The temp was 95 degrees. Of course the first thing I did was adjust the ocular to get the reticle as sharp as I could. Then I placed it on a sandbag and aimed it at the military optics chart 127 yards away in the shade. The glass was as good as the glass in my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and Leupold VX-64-24X52. Also, it smoked them by six minutes in the low light test on the deer antlers 131 yards away in the woods. The eye box was quite generous. It has a zero stop. And the clicks are much better than the Leupold VX-64-24X52.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.