Shv or vx5hd

Tgunz64

Looking now at these two scopes to go on a 22-250 coyote rig. Was looking at the 4-14x50 SHV at first but now I see the 56mm objective is actually a pinch lighter. Now I'm thinking a 56mm objective scope. With your guys experience would you go with the SHV 4-14x56 or LEO VX5HD 3-15x56? Dialing is somewhat important but good low light optics is what I'm more concerned about. Thanks.

I have that exact Leupold on my Smokeless ML. Very clear optic and also very light weight. I can't say much for the SHV but I do have an NXS and for clarity, low light and weight I'd take the Leupold.

I have that exact Leupold on my Smokeless ML. Very clear optic and also very light weight. I can't say much for the SHV but I do have an NXS and for clarity, low light and weight I'd take the Leupold.

So the Leo has better clarity and low light than the NXS? I have an NXS 5.5-22x56 on a 26 nosler but haven't had the chance to shoot with it yet unfortunately. Got a good deal on it being it's the now discontinued velocity reticle. However it's a heavy setup.

Looking now at these two scopes to go on a 22-250 coyote rig. Was looking at the 4-14x50 SHV at first but now I see the 56mm objective is actually a pinch lighter. Now I'm thinking a 56mm objective scope. With your guys experience would you go with the SHV 4-14x56 or LEO VX5HD 3-15x56? Dialing is somewhat important but good low light optics is what I'm more concerned about. Thanks.

I have both,I prefer the Leupold ,I like the optics and the much lighter weight,my Leupold has the 44 obj fyi

Leupold 44mm will outshine the 56 in weight and low light brightness IMO.

How will the smaller objective be brighter? I can see not much difference between a 44 and 50. But a 56 should be kind of noticeable I'd think, right?

How will the smaller objective be brighter? I can see not much difference between a 44 and 50. But a 56 should be kind of noticeable I'd think, right?
Git in touch with Richard Cole on this form, he said that his leupold beat some swaro's by a lot. I have both the vx5hd and the SHV, if glass is what you are looking for than git the vx5hd.

The coatings that Leupold is using now make a huge objective unneccessary IMO. They will beat out many competitors bigger objective in light transmission with the new coating.

I have the SHV4-14 F1 MILR on a hunting rig and have not found fault with it to date. Rides in a hard case on the front of my quad with me sticking the spurs to it in the desert mountains. I purchased it for durability that has proven out in my opinion.

I run the 3-15x56 VX5HD on my daytime coyote rig (25-06) its pretty awesome. I have two of this scope and both track awesome - low light performance is tough to beat on them...

The coatings that Leupold is using now make a huge objective unneccessary IMO. They will beat out many competitors bigger objective in light transmission with the new coating.
Right - but if you get the Leupold in a 56mm objective it will blow you away. I can't argue the 44mm is really good - the 56mm on the Leupy is amazing.

Sounds like most people lean to the Leupold for low light. I've never owned one or had much interest in Leupold but with what I've been hearing about these new HD models it's making me think twice now on getting one. Unfortunately no one near me carries high end optics. It'll be a while until I can get to a Cabelas or Scheels or someone else that carries these to compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.