NXS/SHV or ??

jhall239

Well found this forum while researching NF so here goes for my first question

I am on the fence, think I want an SHV with IHR reticle but not wild about the 56 MM objective 5-20x56
Leaning NXS 5.5-22X50 with mil dot reticle only because of the objective, prefer IHR reticle

Is the NXS better or should I just suck it up and go with the 56 mm objective on SHV

Dont know enough about this MOA business and prefer turrets with yards marked off

Thanks

I've got several NXS's and 2 SHV's.

In terms of quality, the NXS line is tough to beat. It is difficult to describe quality on a message board, but hold one in your hands, and you'll see what I mean.

The SHV is a quality scope. I've got them mounted on .308's I use for hog hunting, and they've not let me down once. While impressive, they don't have the same feel in your hands as the NXS.

I would go with the NXS, but that's my opinion.

Cabela's has both in stock, so if you have one close by, take a trip and look at them.

Yep, well made the trip to Cabela's on Saturday
SHV seems good and I really like that IHR reticle but not the 56 mm objective
NXS was good and prefer the 50 mm objective and can survive with the mil dot reticle
I know 56mm gathers more light but having owned several scopes in 50mm class, legal shooting light is just that, so the extra turf required for the 56 is going to be the deciding factor I think

Thanks for the input

there is a thread asking this same question over on the hide.. one of the admins chimed in with a 'wait until December 1st to decide' - i.e., nightforce is coming out with something new.

Besides that, if you choose the NXS, I wouldn't mix a Mil-dot reticle with MOA turrets. if the turrets are MIL based, have at it.

there is a thread asking this same question over on the hide.. one of the admins chimed in with a 'wait until December 1st to decide' - i.e., nightforce is coming out with something new.

Yeah, I saw that. Be interesting to see what December brings. If nothing else, I would guess it would mean some more used NF showing up on the exchange.

Depends on what you want to shoot, how far you want to shoot it, and what time a day do you expect to have to shoot it and what your shooting it with????

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.