NightForce NXS or SHV scopes

TackDriv3r

Has anyone been using the NightForce NXS and SHV 5.5 x 22 and 8 x 32 scopes? About to pull my Leupold Vari X III off my 7 Mag custom hunting rig and put a NightForce. I have some ATACR's on my other competition rigs but its too bulky for a lightweight hunting rifle, don't you think?

I have an NXS 5.5-22x50 on a AE shooting 6XC, it was also on a 6.5CM. The combination gives great accuracy. The NXS is workhorse of Nightforces line. Drop it beat on it and still repeatable accuracy. Mine has pass the box test every time I try it. As a target shooter, I dial up to shoot at 600 and 1000 and it always returns to zero when I dial back down.

The friends that I shoot with he swap his son Leupold with a Nightforce and his sons shooting groups improved by .5moa consistently. He also has 2 NF one on a 338LM. Currently I am building a 338LM and scope is a toss up between the 8-32 or maybe the 15-55 Comp.

I also have the SHV 4-14F1 on a small AR in 6.5 Grendel which I regularly shoot out to 1000yds. For a $1200 scope it clear bright glass, much better then the VortexPST I started shooting with. The clicks are firm and audible. Like the NXS I do a box test periodically and it always measures out. If you have specific questions let me and I will try and answer them.

Mark

I have an NXS 5.5-22x50 on a AE shooting 6XC, it was also on a 6.5CM. The combination gives great accuracy. The NXS is workhorse of Nightforces line. Drop it beat on it and still repeatable accuracy. Mine has pass the box test every time I try it. As a target shooter, I dial up to shoot at 600 and 1000 and it always returns to zero when I dial back down.

The friends that I shoot with he swap his son Leupold with a Nightforce and his sons shooting groups improved by .5moa consistently. He also has 2 NF one on a 338LM. Currently I am building a 338LM and scope is a toss up between the 8-32 or maybe the 15-55 Comp.

I also have the SHV 4-14F1 on a small AR in 6.5 Grendel which I regularly shoot out to 1000yds. For a $1200 scope it clear bright glass, much better then the VortexPST I started shooting with. The clicks are firm and audible. Like the NXS I do a box test periodically and it always measures out. If you have specific questions let me and I will try and answer them.

Mark

Sounds like both models are battle tested and proven. Which would you lean on for hunting? The NXS or the SHV?

The NXS has long track record, including military service. It is an SFP so to range with the reticle you need to turn up the magnification all the way. Not a big deal, it even has a marker on the eye piece.

The SHV F1 has only been out for about a year. It was originally released as a SFP, but NF responded to shooters and made an FFP version. That lets you range with the reticle at any magnification. The F1 is just over $1200 new. It has the Zero Stop, it not an option like on the NXS. Sorry if I went into basics, but not knowing your background in shooting, I didn want to mislead you.

Not knowing anything about you, your equipment, and I don't know much about hunting, it hard to say. Budget wise NXS is almost double the cost SHV F1. A used NXS is any where between $1300 - $1700. There are differences in options on the NXS, high speed turrets and zero stop.

My NXS has HS and Zero Stop. The benefits to Zero Stop you don't loose your zero when dialing back down. I shoot regularly from 600 and 1000 yards, you can see why the stop is important for me. The glass on both is clear enough that shooting even in lower light should not an issue. Your best option is to get your hands on both scopes and look threw them, play with the turrets and see which fits your requirements. If you have specific questions PM me and I will help you.

If you search on line you will find info oon how to test your scope ability to adjust and return to zero, by perform a box test. Brian Lutz has a video on how to confirm your scope is level, which is very important at longer distances. Also consider using a 20moa rail to mount your scope. Do not short change yourself on rings or a mount. Plan on spending $150 or more for a good set of rings. Measure and get the correct ring height for your gun. You what to keep that scope as close to the bore of the barrel as possible. This will also help you with you stock fit. Since the higher the scope the higher you need the stock comb.

The NXS has long track record, including military service. It is an SFP so to range with the reticle you need to turn up the magnification all the way. Not a big deal, it even has a marker on the eye piece.

The SHV F1 has only been out for about a year. It was originally released as a SFP, but NF responded to shooters and made an FFP version. That lets you range with the reticle at any magnification. The F1 is just over $1200 new. It has the Zero Stop, it not an option like on the NXS. Sorry if I went into basics, but not knowing your background in shooting, I didn want to mislead you.

Not knowing anything about you, your equipment, and I don't know much about hunting, it hard to say. Budget wise NXS is almost double the cost SHV F1. A used NXS is any where between $1300 - $1700. There are differences in options on the NXS, high speed turrets and zero stop.

My NXS has HS and Zero Stop. The benefits to Zero Stop you don't loose your zero when dialing back down. I shoot regularly from 600 and 1000 yards, you can see why the stop is important for me. The glass on both is clear enough that shooting even in lower light should not an issue. Your best option is to get your hands on both scopes and look threw them, play with the turrets and see which fits your requirements. If you have specific questions PM me and I will help you.

If you search on line you will find info oon how to test your scope ability to adjust and return to zero, by perform a box test. Brian Lutz has a video on how to confirm your scope is level, which is very important at longer distances. Also consider using a 20moa rail to mount your scope. Do not short change yourself on rings or a mount. Plan on spending $150 or more for a good set of rings. Measure and get the correct ring height for your gun. You what to keep that scope as close to the bore of the barrel as possible. This will also help you with you stock fit. Since the higher the scope the higher you need the stock comb.

Thanks, you have been a great help. My two ATACR's that is on the 6.5 x284 and 6.5 Creedmore has the Badger rings. Careful measurements performed on scope height resulted in an eighth of an inch to less than a quarter inch with scope covers attached. The lower, the better for cheek ride on the stock is important. I will get two more ATACR's or NXS for the .308 GAP Crusader and the .300 Mag soon, they are being built as we speak.

I've got a number of NF scopes, including the ATACR in 5.5-22x56, several NXS scopes in 5.5-22x56, and a few SHVs.

From reading your posting, it looks like weight is an important issue for you. From the NF website:

SHV 4-14x56 is 26.9 ounces
SHV 5-20x56 is 29.1 ounces
NXS 5.5-00x56 is 32 ounces
NXS 8-32x56 is 34 ounces
ATACR 5-25x56 is 38 ounces

I'm not the most gentle person, so I prefer durability (the NXS line). I also live in South Carolina and stand hunt, so at most, I'd have a 300 yard walk from where I park to the stand, so weight is not an issue for me. If I lived out west and had to haul around an extra pound for miles of trail, it might be a different issue.

ATACRs are amazing scopes, but the heaviest of the NF offerings.

I've had zero issues with the SHV scopes I own. I've got them on .308/7.62s I use mostly for hog hunting. They've not lost zero with all of the banging around I've put them through, so I'd have no reservations about recommending one for you.

You have a nice problem, in that you really cannot make a bad decision.

I've got a number of NF scopes, including the ATACR in 5.5-22x56, several NXS scopes in 5.5-22x56, and a few SHVs.

From reading your posting, it looks like weight is an important issue for you. From the NF website:

SHV 4-14x56 is 26.9 ounces
SHV 5-20x56 is 29.1 ounces
NXS 5.5-00x56 is 32 ounces
NXS 8-32x56 is 34 ounces
ATACR 5-25x56 is 38 ounces

I'm not the most gentle person, so I prefer durability (the NXS line). I also live in South Carolina and stand hunt, so at most, I'd have a 300 yard walk from where I park to the stand, so weight is not an issue for me. If I lived out west and had to haul around an extra pound for miles of trail, it might be a different issue.

ATACRs are amazing scopes, but the heaviest of the NF offerings.

I've had zero issues with the SHV scopes I own. I've got them on .308/7.62s I use mostly for hog hunting. They've not lost zero with all of the banging around I've put them through, so I'd have no reservations about recommending one for you.

You have a nice problem, in that you really cannot make a bad decision.

Thanks for the weight information, its a help.

I've had zero issues with the SHV scopes I own. I've got them on .308/7.62s I use mostly for hog hunting. They've not lost zero with all of the banging around I've put them through.

Clarification please. What kind of zero issues have you had with the SHV? Return to zero issues?

Or did you intend to say that you've had no issues with the SHV?

Clarification please. What kind of zero issues have you had with the SHV? Return to zero issues?

Or did you intend to say that you've had no issues with the SHV?

A poor choice of words on my part.

I've not had any issues with the SHV scopes. I've been very impressed with their performance. I hog hunt 6 spots, so I'm going back and forth between them several times a night, loading and unloading the gun/scope 15-20 times a night into my pickup, and have had no issues with the scopes losing zero.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.