Shrink group size...some advice or help.

Hey I try. As a rule I don't read the whole thread before jumping in with the possibilities so as not to let the other responses influence me.
You might wanna include that nugget at the beginning of your posts, or in your sig line.

Will save a number of head injuries from foreheads hitting the keyboard while sighing "didn't you read the thread?!?!"

;)

You might wanna include that nugget at the beginning of your posts, or in your sig line.

Will save a number of head injuries from foreheads hitting the keyboard while sighing "didn't you read the thread?!?!"

;)

A hundred or thousand others with similar issues may pull this thread up in the future. there are lots of causes to explore.

Those of us who have been around a while "get it".

Some info that may help....
Looking for advice on where to go from here. This is where I get lost. Powder type? Bullet Depth? Powder Grain change? Etc? Need some help on what to do next to tighten this group up.

Clean Bore. Been bore scoped by pro
Barrel only has 38 rounds through it.

300 RUM
1/10 twist
26" Proof Barrel
Defiance GA Hunter Action.
MCMillian Stock
Trigger Tech set at 1.5lbs

208 ELDM
215M Primer
Reloaded 33 Powder
Nosler Custom brass
Loaded round 339 at neck
Redding FL 337 Bushing
3.091 at Ogive
.003 off lands

96g Reloader 33 looked like I was shooting a scatter gun. Horrible. Don't see how 1
Grain of powder made that big of difference.
95g instantly shrunk to about an inch group.
94.5g was a about same. No change. So based off this pic, I'm not sure what to do next or where to go with seating or charge and so on. I'm basically at mag length too.
That's a 5 shot group.
1. Try running your bullet as far out can an still fit in mag. Load three rounds and test. Adjust your bullet depth a couple of thousands deeper and test again
Every gun has a sweet spot for seating depth.
2. Try retumbo.
Very stable and provides consistent velocities.
I would try a lighter bullet. Your twist rate should support your bullet but it may not like that bullet.

Some info that may help....
Looking for advice on where to go from here. This is where I get lost. Powder type? Bullet Depth? Powder Grain change? Etc? Need some help on what to do next to tighten this group up.

Clean Bore. Been bore scoped by pro
Barrel only has 38 rounds through it.

300 RUM
1/10 twist
26" Proof Barrel
Defiance GA Hunter Action.
MCMillian Stock
Trigger Tech set at 1.5lbs

208 ELDM
215M Primer
Reloaded 33 Powder
Nosler Custom brass
Loaded round 339 at neck
Redding FL 337 Bushing
3.091 at Ogive
.003 off lands

96g Reloader 33 looked like I was shooting a scatter gun. Horrible. Don't see how 1
Grain of powder made that big of difference.
95g instantly shrunk to about an inch group.
94.5g was a about same. No change. So based off this pic, I'm not sure what to do next or where to go with seating or charge and so on. I'm basically at mag length too.
That's a 5 shot group.
It has always told me what I needed to know. It can never lie of it's own accord,but it sometimes can be fooled.
The Item in question ,well it's my chronographs. I own several but the that gets more trigger time in my Magneto-speed V3.
This is my reasoning
1) is Extreme Spread (ES)
2) is Standard Deviation (SD)
When your vertical shot string decreases in size you know that your ES numbers will also decrease. The lower the number the tighter your vertical string is.
When your POI group size from POA decrease in size

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts