Shrink group size...some advice or help.

Mine were 300rum, 7-300wm, 28 nosler and 6.5-284. 7-300 was amazing for two (see pics) but not for three. Rum was a bit finicky but ended up loving 225 elds. 6.5 was a 6.5. 28 nosler shot great out of the gate. When I shot one every 2 minutes or 2 then let cool, they all shot fine.
Mine is that way too. Just can't shoot it much at all. Shoots great if you shoot two and then slap a barrel cooler on it. Just a pain to take out and work with. I'm sure i will like it hunting. Hahe over $7k in it so i better!!!

I'm bringing this back to the top. We finally Figured out what was wrong with the gun/scope.

I'm not the kind to publicly blast anyone or any company, but I'm not super happy with them.

Last edited:
glad you got it figured out .. very interested in the result

this whole thread with pictures should show "certain company" how you have narrowed it down to their product

glad you got it figured out .. very interested in the result

this whole thread with pictures should show "certain company" how you have narrowed it down to their product

I know. I wasn't thinking. I'm just not happy. I may be over reacting a little too. I'll prob just keep my mouth shut on this. I'll say it wasn't the gun/barrel.

Well.... That just leaves the scope, right? Even stellar companies with top-tier products can let something slip sometimes...

Oh I completely understand that and wouldn't be one bit mad if the scope had an issue. And to be honest, NF has treated me very well and no complaints until now. And like I mentioned, I probably shouldn't really be upset. I just thought I would have had a little different outcome. And the scope checked out perfect. The rings were the culprit. Again, I'll wait to see what shows up in the mail on Thursday. I'm sure I'll get crap for whining here.

Some info that may help....
Looking for advice on where to go from here. This is where I get lost. Powder type? Bullet Depth? Powder Grain change? Etc? Need some help on what to do next to tighten this group up.

Clean Bore. Been bore scoped by pro
Barrel only has 38 rounds through it.

300 RUM
1/10 twist
26" Proof Barrel
Defiance GA Hunter Action.
MCMillian Stock
Trigger Tech set at 1.5lbs

208 ELDM
215M Primer
Reloaded 33 Powder
Nosler Custom brass
Loaded round 339 at neck
Redding FL 337 Bushing
3.091 at Ogive
.003 off lands

96g Reloader 33 looked like I was shooting a scatter gun. Horrible. Don't see how 1
Grain of powder made that big of difference.
95g instantly shrunk to about an inch group.
94.5g was a about same. No change. So based off this pic, I'm not sure what to do next or where to go with seating or charge and so on. I'm basically at mag length too.
That's a 5 shot group.

Your first issue is that your barrel isn't even broken in yet. Second, you're pushing a big bullet at near max capacity while trying to break the barrel in.

Most rifles don't develop a lot of consistency until you get beyond the 50 round mark and you honestly don't know what you have until you're past the hundred round mark.

Are you trimming necks? Are you cleaning religiously after every few rounds?

Are you following any particular barrel break in program?

Your first issue is that your barrel isn't even broken in yet. Second, you're pushing a big bullet at near max capacity while trying to break the barrel in.

Most rifles don't develop a lot of consistency until you get beyond the 50 round mark and you honestly don't know what you have until you're past the hundred round mark.

Little past this part. Hehe.

Here's the 215's Bergers 96g Reloader 33 5 shot group from this weekend. We got problem figured out.
Have around 140 down tube now. Shoots everything very well now. 215, 210, 208's and 200's.

Attachments

• C9349812-2682-4AE5-9425-5DCD4B7BA8B6.jpeg
    C9349812-2682-4AE5-9425-5DCD4B7BA8B6.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 104
It has a break and I'll shoot out to a 700 today just to see.

I've loaded....
6 rounds of exact same load that I've already shot (.003 off lands with 94.5 Reloder 33. The picture I posted.

6 rounds of same load but now .0010 deeper so .0013 off lands

6 rounds of same load but now with 91.5g retumbo at .003 off lands

6 rounds of same load 92.5g retumbo at 92.5g.

This is my 6th 300 Rum built. I've never had an issue with any of them when shooting Retumbo and have only used Reloader 33 in the last two with excellent results. I've also only ever shot 200 Accubonds and 200 ELDX and all have been 1/2" group. I'm just really wanting these 208's to work. I'll post up pics of each group today. Thanks!

All three of my Rum's seem to prefer RL 33 and H1000. Best results have been achieved with carefully neck trimmed brass, minimal neck tension as in just enough that I can't seat the bullet with my fingers but I apply a light crimp to keep them from "walking" .

I've since followed this same process to get uniform neck tension with all my loads and it has given me the lowest and most consistent ES's I've every been able to produce across seven different centerfire cartridges.

Definitely getting there!

Your always a ton of help. Always appreciated. Was just saying issue wasn't with my loads, neck tension, shooting and so on.
Had bad rings believe it or not.

Little past this part. Hehe.

Here's the 215's Bergers 96g Reloader 33 5 shot group from this weekend. We got problem figured out.
Have around 140 down tube now. Shoots everything very well now. 215, 210, 208's and 200's.
Have you checked your....? Nevermind...
That group better be at 300+ or you've still got issues :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.