Need help with some long range advice

Glopsnerch

My set up is a tikka t3x 300 win mag
Vortex pst gen 2 5-25x50 EBR-2C moa reticle.

I'm wondering what ammo to use. I'm looking for something effective out 600+ yards on elk and bear.
Also what rangefinder would be best to get for dialing in on target.

If you don't reload people have had good luck with ABM ammo with the 215 Berger. The Hornady precision hunter may work. Can't remember who it was, but they will do load development for you. Somebody else might be able to chime in with that. The Sig kilo 2200 is pretty awesome, especially for the price.

You'll need to learn to reload to get the best accuracy out of your rifle.

I've had decent luck with Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo in 2 of my 300wm's and two of my 300 Rum's as well so it will certainly do in a pinch.

Federal Premium is another good choice.

Sig Kilo would be probably the best deal in rangefinders available right now.

.....If you don't reload people have had good luck with ABM ammo with the 215 Berger. Can't remember who it was, but they will do load development for you. Somebody else might be able to chime in with that.........

Hammer bullets will get you custom hand loads. A couple of others on, the site, but it escapes me right now.

If you don't reload people have had good luck with ABM ammo with the 215 Berger. The Hornady precision hunter may work. Can't remember who it was, but they will do load development for you. Somebody else might be able to chime in with that. The Sig kilo 2200 is pretty awesome, especially for the price.
ABM ammo?

Alright so there wouldn't be a good ammo that I could buy over counter? I have a kilo 2200 LRH but i wasnt sure on sticking with it or going to maybe a leica. Also what would be a good ballistics app? Do i need to chronograph my ammo as well?

Probably the best widely available over the counter ammo is the Hornady precision hunter. You will want a Chrono to make life easier. I like my magneto speed sporter. It gets the job done. There are a bunch of apps for drops. I'm trying the Hornady 4DOF and so far it's been spot on.

Probably the best widely available over the counter ammo is the Hornady precision hunter. You will want a Chrono to make life easier. I like my magneto speed sporter. It gets the job done. There are a bunch of apps for drops. I'm trying the Hornady 4DOF and so far it's been spot on.
So with the chrono do you shoot 3 then take the average and use that for your ballistics app?

So with the chrono do you shoot 3 then take the average and use that for your ballistics app?
3 would get you somewhere close, but I would go with more. I can't remember how many I've shot over my chrono, it's been a decent amount. Then I throw it on there every once in a while, or new batch of reloads and verify that I'm getting consistent results.

3 would get you somewhere close, but I would go with more. I can't remember how many I've shot over my chrono, it's been a decent amount. Then I throw it on there every once in a while, or new batch of reloads and verify that I'm getting consistent results.
Alright maybe I'll ask a couple of my buddies about reloading since they do it.
Any other recommendations?

Try the ammo mentioned and see if ur gun shoots it well. If it doesn't, think about reloading. Out to 600 any ballistic app will work, but applied ballistics is popular.
You don't need a chrony right away, but they r handy. Once u have a load guess ur mv shoot it at 400&500, change ur mv to match the drops then shoot at 450&550 to check it. Done

On ur tikka, rest it on bipods then run a bill between the barrel and stock. If it touches anywhere you will need to fix that. Your barrel needs to be free floated so you poi remains the same.

Stick with the sig kilo. Leica rangefinder are fine you already have the best one you can get for the money. My kilo 2000 will way out range my shooting ability. I got some decent groups with factory rounds with my 300 win but after I started reloading I can't ever go back. It very satisfying for me to shoot a load i created into the same hole and have it hit consistently at distance when I couldn't with the factory rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.