Need some advice?

Cruizin

Long time reader first time posting...

Well I went out looking for a Remington 700 that was used, since I'm just after the action for the next rifle I am going to build. Wanted a short action but found a blued long action rifle for 299.99 and I told them I would give them a penny more if they paid the sales tax. I hope I got a good deal. I figured it was better than 500+ for a new one.

Anyway, Stripped it all down and its in perfect shape. The trigger has been adjusted but nothing else has been touched.

I want to build a big boom stick. I want it for long range hunting out to 1000 or maybe a little under, and it would be nice to pull it out and shoot some 1000 yrd plus targets.

I am thinking of a 26" bull barrel with a bypod and an A2 McMillan stock. Probably a Leupold Mark 4 on top. Since it is a long action I was thinking of making it a single shot for better accuracy and bedding surface area. I was thinking of a 7mm STW or possibly a 30/378 Weatherby. Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want to fire form but would love a nice ackley shapped cartidge just for the reloading benefits. If I go with the 7mm STW am I going to want a muzzle brake or do you think with the bull barrel that I will be fine? What is the recoil like on these two? The biggest gun I have shot is a 300WM.

Thanks

Cruizin

I shoot a 30x378 in a 27" #7 taper barrel and recoil
is very manageable and it shoots very good .093 moa
5 shot group.It has the standard weatherby freebore
so I can shoot factory loads. brass is about $1.50
each but its made by norma ( very good).

The 300 ultra mag is another good choice for what
you want and works in the action you have and has
27% more energy than the 300 win mag at 200yrds.

The 7mm ultra mag has about 12% greater energy
than the 7 STW.

With all this power there is a price to be paid
( recoil ) but if you build on a heavy barrel
#6 or #7 taper 26" to 28" and use a laminated
stock recoil will not be an issue. Note; the laminated
stock will help balance a muzzle heavy rifle.

The nice thing about the Ultra Mag brass is about
.46 cents a peace and factory ammo is less than 1/2
the price of the weatherby ammo.

something to think about
J E CUSTOM

I have a 300 ultra mag in the Rem. model 700 sendero. It has a bull barrel, recoil wasnt really bad but I had a muzzle break installed and now it is a real pleasure to shoot, shot a buck this year at 308 yds and got to see him fall thru the scope and he dropped like a lead ballon with one shot. I never could have done that before the break was put on. The trigger was set to 3lbs and thats all thats been done. I would really recommend the break just for comfort. And I really like the 300 RUM caliber also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

since you mentioned hunting out to 1000yds then that puts you up in the big mags assuming your hunting deer and Elk.

My vote would be for the 7mmRUM , #6-#7 conture barrel 28-30" and rilfed with a 1-8 twist to shoot the big 200gr
Wildcat bullets yet you will still be able to shoot factory ammo. I would difinatly get a brake put on it simply to make it fun to shoot and spot your hits at longer range.
Not knowing what you budget is or exactly what your hunting their are several way you could go , you can have a very accurate gun built for a pretty reasonable price .

Cruizin

NO
I have nothing against muzzle breaks but I dont use
them because of noise.and I normally use heavy barrels with
#5 taper to #8 on my rifles up to 416s & 460s to minimize
recoil.

Dont get me wrong I'M not any tougher than any one else
I just have more tolerance of recoil than some. but after
20 to 30 rounds of 416 or 460 the fun is gone.

Heavy barrels have many strong points ,more tolerant of
different loads,helps to steady the rifle,dampens better,
doesn't heat up as fast, reduces ft lbs of recoil and
slows recoil velocity .

Example:
A 7.5lb 30/378 produces a recoil velocity of 22.5 ft/sec
and 58.9 ft/lbs of recoil energy.
A 12.0lb 30/378 produces a recoil velocity of 14.1 ft/sec
and only 36.8 ft/lbs of recoil energy.
And a 12.0 lb 416 remington produces 16.1 recoil vel and
48.5 ft/lbs of recoil energy. 10 ft/lbs less recoil than a
factory weight 30/378.

muzzle brakes can reduce recoil 30% or 40% and some claim
up to 50%.

If your 300win was a sporter weight you will have no
problems with a 11 or 12lb 30/378 and less with a
7mm or 300 rum.and if your looking at a 28 to 30"
barrel then a #7 taper would be recomened.

I hope this will help
J E CUSTOM

Ok I've narrowed it down looking at that 338 edge since it has the best of both worlds, but I might go with some wildcat that my gunsmith has that's similar, has a better shoulder and the brass will last longer. Should be a little more accurate as well, but have to fireform. Still thinking about that...

Anyways I have one more question. For now that is...

Does your muzzle velocity change at different altitude and temperature? I know temp will play a role but what about altitude?

How much of a difference is this in FPS and is there anyway to figure it out other than a crony?

Thanks,

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.