Show me your bear and lion mounts

Thank you for posting this. On first glance it looks fine but it really is all about the details, isn't it? How do you like the crouched position? Was that your preferred position or done for space constraints? Do you feel like it detracts from the perceived size of the cat?

Thank you for posting this. On first glance it looks fine but it really is all about the details, isn't it? How do you like the crouched position? Was that your preferred position or done for space constraints? Do you feel like it detracts from the perceived size of the cat?
I wanted it crouched. Just like it was when we had it treed. 8 foot ceiling gave me little space but that was secondary to my choice. I wanted the Tom to look how he looked in the tree right before I shot. His size might be misperceived by the position but that also was secondary to me.
Like I said the regret is the lack of details in the face. It makes or breaks a mountain lion mount.

Shot this bear in NW Georgia in 2020, field dressed 230lbs. I had a local "taxidermist" attempt to tan the hide himself. Long story short ended up getting the hide back and it was a mess. Found another taxidermist with a reputation for bear mounts and I took it to him and he was able to save the hide and did a pretty good job on this pack mount considering the circumstances.

Attachments

• IMG_20220816_202444_01.jpg
    IMG_20220816_202444_01.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 56
I've seen very few cats or half bear mounts that look good and I don't mean to discourage, they are out there... I shot a good bear in 22 (the one in my avatar) and decided on a rug because of that, I have a cape of another bear of similar size from several years back but I just don't have faith that I will like it when done.

The rug turned out great, the only downside it that it takes up a big chunk of wall!

Attachments

• 20240117_173817.jpg
    20240117_173817.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 32
Shot this bear in NW Georgia in 2020, field dressed 230lbs. I had a local "taxidermist" attempt to tan the hide himself. Long story short ended up getting the hide back and it was a mess. Found another taxidermist with a reputation for bear mounts and I took it to him and he was able to save the hide and did a pretty good job on this pack mount considering the circumstances.
That's a great idea to salvage your trophy. Looks great.

I've seen very few cats or half bear mounts that look good and I don't mean to discourage, they are out there... I shot a good bear in 22 (the one in my avatar) and decided on a rug because of that, I have a cape of another bear of similar size from several years back but I just don't have faith that I will like it when done.

The rug turned out great, the only downside it that it takes up a big chunk of wall!

I agree - half bear mounts are not my favorite. I think a bear rug looks great. Cats are tough to get right as well. Next time I'm at our ranch, I'll snag a pic of my brother's lion. It turned out incredible.

That's a big rug!

If you are getting your mount done with the mouth open, I suggest that ask your Taxidermist if they mount with the actual Skull-Jaws with teeth. Looks better IMO.
I'm leaning toward panting on the bear. Not sure yet on the lion. The taxi I dropped the bear off with showed me a brand new mouth insert he is using and it looks way better than what I've seen in the past.

If you are getting your mount done with the mouth open, I suggest that ask your Taxidermist if they mount with the actual Skull-Jaws with teeth. Looks better IMO.

Good point, on mine the teeth are tiny compared to the skull, between that and the eyes are probably the two areas lacking. You would be be giving up the score-able skull though if it's a big cat and you care.