Shoulder bump problem or no problem?

First thing id check is if your brass measures similar too your reamer print. If it does then see if die was made to reamer spec im sure it was if you ordered everything from rich
I just got off the phone with Rich and yes everything came from him. He said the chamber diameter at the 200 line is .555. I'm measuring .553 and getting hard contact in that one spot. He also said .553 is about what it would be after sizing. Sounds like I've got plenty of clearance there but I'm having to run that die too far down to get the brass to clear the burr. I have a borescope and I'll take a look inside later this evening when I get home. I now think whatever is causing that mark is the problem. The mark is not all the way around that line. Just in one spot. I've mopped the chamber out and it's still there.
I think that's where I start. Somehow getting rid of what is causing that mark.

I am not sure if you posted this, but what action are you using? The reason for asking is that if you have one with the double ejectors, it may just be putting a bit of pressure to one side of the cartridge while chambering and if you have a sharp shoulder there it could be "grabbing" the case as it is chambered. That could explain why the mark is just in that small area of the case rather than the entire circumference (which is what would be suspected if the die was not sizing the web down far enough).

Also, when you say "resistance" when chambering, how much are we talking? Is it just a little bit, or do you have to force it with a good bit of pressure.

What size neck bushing are you using?

Lastly, I am not sure this has been asked, but how does a fired case chamber? Does the problem exist only after it is sized? The reason for asking is that if it is burr in the chamber, you should get resistance even on a fired case as the brass and the burr most likely won't line up again when rechambered.

I am not sure if you posted this, but what action are you using? The reason for asking is that if you have one with the double ejectors, it may just be putting a bit of pressure to one side of the cartridge while chambering and if you have a sharp shoulder there it could be "grabbing" the case as it is chambered. That could explain why the mark is just in that small area of the case rather than the entire circumference (which is what would be suspected if the die was not sizing the web down far enough).

Also, when you say "resistance" when chambering, how much are we talking? Is it just a little bit, or do you have to force it with a good bit of pressure.

What size neck bushing are you using?

Lastly, I am not sure this has been asked, but how does a fired case chamber? Does the problem exist only after it is sized? The reason for asking is that if it is burr in the chamber, you should get resistance even on a fired case as the brass and the burr most likely won't line up again when rechambered.
It's an origin action, so ejectors aren't in the bolt face. It's got a blade extractor. The problem is with fired brass, and it's not terrible pressure to chamber, but a fair bit more than it should be. I just spoke to Rich, he said the chamber dimension at that datum line is .555. At .553 after 1 firing I'm getting hard contact in that one spot. I think that's gotta be addressed and then go from there.

Reading through most of the posts I agree that it is a sizing die problem. I had the Sam problem on a Redding 300 Lapua die set. The rifle builder (GreTan rifles) told me to put the die in a lathe and take .010" to .015" off of the die. I had a machinist cut off .015" and it cured the problem. That's my 2 Pennie's on the subject

Is this a prefit with a barrel nut? I have had issues when torquing it down with slippage and having to start the process all over.

Could it be possible the headspace is just .006" ish long causing it to not size down at the web?

Is your press/die camming over? If I take mine to the point of camming, it it too much in my 338 Sherman with the Hornady dies. Not a super fan of how they "bump" the shoulder. Either waaay too much or not enough.

Is this a prefit with a barrel nut? I have had issues when torquing it down with slippage and having to start the process all over.

Could it be possible the headspace is just .006" ish long causing it to not size down at the web?

Is your press/die camming over? If I take mine to the point of camming, it it too much in my 338 Sherman with the Hornady dies. Not a super fan of how they "bump" the shoulder. Either waaay too much or not enough.
No barrel nut. It's shouldered. I have considered that it could be cut too deep, but I don't think it is. To get brass to chamber freely yes my press is camming over and sizing down so far it's clear of whatever is causing the mark in one spot at the 200 line. I think that is my problem. A presumed burr there somehow. I'll look at it this evening with a borescope. I should be able to see it, I'd think. If I bump my shoulders just .002, I'm still measuring .553 at that line and getting that mark on my brass. Until I get that problem resolved I really have no way to know if I'm formed fully out to the chamber shoulder yet. Rich said the chamber diameter at the point I'm getting contact is .555

Recent Posts