Should I buy a Terrapin?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by fishwater, Jun 4, 2014.

1. fishwater

fishwater Well-Known Member

I am in need of a new rangefinder, the Leica 1600 just isn't cutting it anymore.

Should I grab up one of the last brand new Terrapins in existence? Anyone know of somewhere that has them in stock?

Anyone know of anything new on the horizon? Anything comparable?

2K is about as much as I can spend really. I just need a dependable range, not a bunch or bells and whistles.

2. pyroducksx3

pyroducksx3 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are amazing

3. jcvibby

jcvibby Non-Profit Sponsor

love mine!

4. 406precision

406precision Well-Known Member

Yes

5. fishwater

Straight and to the point! LOL.

From what I have learned so far, there is supposed to be one last shipment still due sometime in August. Those units are all spoken for of course, and there is even a waiting list for back-up buyers in case there are any extra units. I am not on any waiting lists at this time.

Also, I can get a new PLRF-10 for about 1,000.00 more and I am considering that option also...

I can't believe I am considering paying $3000 for a rangefinder... that's almost as much as my rifle cost. I must be going crazy...

6. 406precision

406precision Well-Known Member

Crazy is as crazy does lol
    Haven't regretted the terrapin ever only wish I could have bought two.

7. pyroducksx3

pyroducksx3 Well-Known Member

I felt the same way but having a rangefinder that flat out works every time quickly put me at ease. I've ranged out to 2000 in the rain. The rangefinder is simply amazing I would buy one of these before a custom rifle knowing what I know now.

8. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

DUH :):Dlightbulb

9. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

The set up

Attached Files:

10. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

I will NEVER regret buying a terrapin.....the "giggle factor" of repeatedly ranging something 4800 yards plus is priceless!!! I do, however, regret SELLING my Swaro 1600. I miss having it to carry when I am on foot...and I miss it in my golf bag!!! I guess the resaon I sold it was to justify spending $1800.00+ on a rangefinder...guilt is a fickle bitch!!!!

I am now scouring the net looking for a GOOD USED SWARO.

11. mtntrapper1

mtntrapper1 Well-Known Member

I love mine, It has been out to 3400 yds for me, I should have bought 2. 3 friends in eastern MT bought one each after trying mine out side by side w / Swaro's and Leica.

12. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

Like the others said, BUY IT!

I've had mine for a little over a month and I never get tired of ranging stuff at ridiculous ranges. My best reading to date is 4637 to a rock face right at dusk. 2500 yards is pretty much a sure thing as long as it's not raining. In the rain, 1800-2000 yards is more typical.

Check out Potomac River Group to see if they have one in stock. That's the only place I could find one.

Andrew

13. fishwater

I ended up getting a deal on a tan PLRF10 from APO.

14. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

Have a link? I tried to find it on their website but no luck. Maybe i was having a bad day?