Should I buy a new press ?

I sometimes use my dillon progressive to load my accurate rifle rounds when my single presses are setup for other calibers. When I get in the mood I may do 4 or 5 different calibers in a weekend. Guess I get lazy. Most importantly when loading for accuracy, charge your powder manually. Do not rely on auto drop. You are loading to 1/100th a Grain, your auto drop won't get you there Basically you won't save time and you wont be mass producing but won't need to sell your progressive. That being said, you should definitely have a single stage press. But once you start loading you will want a progressive for plinking rounds. Have both, you wont regret it. I have 3 single stage, a turret and 2-Dillon 650s(gotta get one for large and one for small primers) I still feel like I could use another. Ha

I believe you will be less frustrated by starting with a single stage press. Doing so will allow you to learn the whys and whatnots of reloading in a manner that is a logical progression.
You CANNOT have too many manuals/reference books when you reload. Read several of the manuals about how to reload and then read them again, BEFORE you ever touch the press or trimmer or vibratory cleaner.
When you have become proficient with the single stage press, then tackle the progressive press.
I believe, (my basic two cents worth with some change) that single stage presses shine in building premium, accurate reloads. Not to say that you can't build accurate reloads on a progressive, I just believe they are two different presses for different purposes. One bullet at a time or a whole case in an hour. Not a true apples to apples comparison.

It's really this simple.....for pistol, bulk or AR, develop your load process around the LNL ap.

For bolt action, I lIke my setup:
Hornady Single Stage
Hornady digital calipers
Hornady oal gauge and the bushings to measure cbto and cbtd
Hornady Dies
K&M priming tool
Hornady Powder Dispenser
Lyman check weight set
Lee Collet crimp dies when required
RCBS run out measuring tool

Listen to these guy's, they know the business.....only thing I'd enforce is to buy equipment that is equal to the highest level of ammo accuracy you will expect. If you know you'll never get bit by the prs bug, or want to try 1000 yd shots, and rule out ammo being the cause of a miss, buy once, cry once...IF you can afford it....for me, I know my capabilities, and if a shot goes wild, it's almost always me. Great ammo can be made on good equipment, but for the really serious shooter, the best equipment is justified....just be honest in your expectations , and you will be happy....rsbhunter

I started with the Rock chucker Supreme kit. It has most everything you need to get started. I also have the same Hornady AP press. I bought it when I was doing USPSA competition. I don't compete anymore so I rarely use the AP press. The Rock Chucker is very solid and will last forever.

I've been loading most of my adult life (and I am getting to the old fart stage) for competition pistol (I.P.S.C.) so I needed a lot of volume. The Dillon 550's I have, have served me well. Just now getting to long range rifle and I have been using one of the Dillon presses in single stage mode without any problems so far. I will probably get a single stage press in the not to distant future.

Haha, she's definitely a seasoned pro compared to me. So looks like I'll be buying a single stage. I guess next question would be buying a "kit" or piecing together? Don't really have a budget but every piece doesn't have to be latest greatest top of the line. I hate rebuying stuff, I do that too much already. I've got a direction now so more studying, thanks.
I agree with the single stage press what are you loading for ? for large magnums I have a Redding ultra mag press but I also would like to get the Redding turret press for others and I would piece together what you want don't get a kit and settle in so many areas and have to upgrade like you said you do not like re-buying things

I guess I'll be one of the dissenters. I don't have much use for a single stage. They take way too long to assemble ammo. For as long as I've been shooting LR rifles, I've been using a progressive. I don't weigh components, I don't trim brass (I do chamfer at the first loading), I quit checking concentricity a long time ago. I have no problem getting single digit SD's and sub 1/2 moa 3 shot groups and 5 shot groups are in the .5-.6 range (I think more a function of shooter). This is good enough for the match shooting that I do, and for shooting game as far as I'm willing to shoot an animal.

Keep your AP and use it until you need to upgrade something.

I use
Dillon 650 with Whidden floating tool heads
Whidden or Redding bushing dies
Autotrickler v2 with bluetooth upgrade and the Area 419 upgrades
AMP annealer

For components,
Hornady bullets (cheaper than Berger)
Hodgdon's or Alliant temp insensitive powders (H4895-308, RL16-6.5Creedmoor, RL16/H4831-6.5 Addiction, H4350/RL16-338WM, varget/H4350/RL16-6.5x47)
CCI BR or mil-spec primers
Lapua or Nosler brass

Because just >1MOA is all I'm after with 223, I load them on a Dillon 1050 with a combination of Dillon and Redding dies. My 1050 only does my 9mm and my 223, because I don't care as much about the accuracy level and I use range brass and want the primer pocket decrimper built into the 1050. I previously did load the 223 as precision ammo, but quit using a 223 bolt gun for matches a few years ago.

It really boils down to your stated goal of building "better" loads. The Hornady AP will crank out the rounds and frankly for an AR or 223\556 variant I think that press is the way to go because you will be shooting many more rounds then if you had say a precision 338 LM rifle. My precision rifles all get loaded on a Redding t7, my high ammo consumption variants all get loaded on the progressive. 300AAC, .223\.556 and all pistol rounds. If you do go single stage dont get rid of the progressive, it will come into play.
I like the Redding T-7 better than any press I have used. More convenient than a single and less than .004" of play at the outside of the plate with 30 lbs. on the handle. Now that is a press.... I still have my Rock Chucker and Lyman singles on the bench dedicated for pulling and such.

Years ago I bought a Hornady AP setup, I've never used it, I've never reloaded at all. When I bought it the thought was mass producing 5.56/.223 due to supplies and prices. Fast forward to now after pretty big life change/relocating I want to start loading but since bulk prices and quality are pretty darn good mass production is not a factor at all,I'd like to focus on accuracy and being able to match ammo to use "better" than factory offerings.
I've been trying to study the basics to get started, bought a couple loading manuals and obviously reading stuff on the interwebs. Right now all I have is what came with the Hornady AP kit so I need to buy equipment. My question is, do I use the progressive press setup I have or buy a quility single stage press ? I don't have a problem at all settling aside what I have now, maybe selling or trading it and buy another press setup.
Not saying money is no object but I want equipment that I hopefully won't want to upgrade quickly. So to recap, as a complete rookie at loading would you recommend buy a single stage press or use the progressive I have ? I need all the case prep stuff, dies, scales, measuring equipment anyway.
Any advice and guidance is appreciated.
there is NO expiration date on your press it will work fine, you can add other things to your set up as you find a need for them. I used a LEE loader for years the manual hand loading and I shot 100 - 1000 yds with pin point accuracy all the time with my 22-250

Once you get started in this reloading business you will always be spending money and a lot of times you can find that what you may have bought was the wrong item. Learning from those that have experience will save you much both in time and troubles.. If you can go slowly save up some money if that is an issue buy once cry once. There is so much to learn. I would recommend finding an expperienced person locally if you can maybe there is a class that someone teaches at a local range this can be a great help. Ultimate Reloader has a video that compares 14 different presses but it come down to what you can afford as you will be buying from now on. I started with a Hornady single stage and bought a Hornady progressive Press and sold those and now have a Redding T7 press but I will get a Forester Co-Ax one day. Remember there is so many other pieces to this adventure that you will get as you grow. Click on link to watch the following.

Fourteen Reloading Presses Compared: Single-Stage Shootout

Last edited:
I agree that a single stage press can help simplify the learning process. I would like to stress the importance of thorough record keeping of your loads. This will be important as you will see. Auto powder measures are nice as you progress. Good Luck!

Thanks, that's kind of what I expected from experienced guys, it's a lot to get my mind around even without the progressive part.

Would be good to know what rifle your shooting, plus, the common thing for most NEW reloaders to do is to over buy or not "think out" what they actually need instead of filling a shelf with "STUFF" NO DOUBT, if your serious about accuracy a single stage is the way to go. I have been loading with a Foster Co-AX for years. Never regreated it. I have won several competitions with Forster, Readding, and Whidden gear and feel it was all worth every cent. Enjoy your adventure!

Years ago I bought a Hornady AP setup, I've never used it, I've never reloaded at all. When I bought it the thought was mass producing 5.56/.223 due to supplies and prices. Fast forward to now after pretty big life change/relocating I want to start loading but since bulk prices and quality are pretty darn good mass production is not a factor at all,I'd like to focus on accuracy and being able to match ammo to use "better" than factory offerings.
I've been trying to study the basics to get started, bought a couple loading manuals and obviously reading stuff on the interwebs. Right now all I have is what came with the Hornady AP kit so I need to buy equipment. My question is, do I use the progressive press setup I have or buy a quility single stage press ? I don't have a problem at all settling aside what I have now, maybe selling or trading it and buy another press setup.
Not saying money is no object but I want equipment that I hopefully won't want to upgrade quickly. So to recap, as a complete rookie at loading would you recommend buy a single stage press or use the progressive I have ? I need all the case prep stuff, dies, scales, measuring equipment anyway.
Any advice and guidance is appreciated.
I have been reloading since I was 15 YO, I am 71 now that's a total of around 56 years. You need both, I have a Hornady Loc'nLoad and a RCBS Rock Chucker. Many will say I am full of feces but the progressive comes up a little short on power when resizing brass. All my bottle neck rifle cartridges are resized/deprimed on the RCBS RC first. Trimming and if needed (mil-spec) swageing primer pockets. I also gage the primer pocket with a NO Go gage, ( if it fits into the pp 1/3-1/2 way that piece of brass is scrap). I find the pp enlargement is the first sign that the brass is worn out. (before case head separation occurs). The progressive will not drop powder, especially stick powder as consistant as an off line bulk powder drop or RCBS Charge Master. I mostly use ball powders (more consistant weight) for rifle cartridges loaded on the LnL. Loading pistol cartridges on the LnL is a straight forward exercise from sizing to bullet seating. The decision is yours to make, progressives can be frustrating to use when trying to learn to reload (too many things going on at one time).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.