What dies should I buy?

Im sorry, now Im getting a little confused due to my lack of experience in reloading. Let me ask for some clarification. I was under the impression that neck sizing is the best for accuracy and case longevity, if you are loading for only one rifle. True?
But what I am hearing is that I should be using a FL resizing die to support the neck during the expanding process.
If feel there is something I missing and it has to do with bumping the shoulder .02" , could someone explain this to me? Shouldn't the neck resizing die support the neck during expansion?

Below Kevin Thomas and Eric Cortina of Team Lapua USA to end your confusion.

Click on image to enlarge.
Y3IiYL5.jpg

Im sorry, now Im getting a little confused due to my lack of experience in reloading. Let me ask for some clarification. I was under the impression that neck sizing is the best for accuracy and case longevity, if you are loading for only one rifle. True?
But what I am hearing is that I should be using a FL resizing die to support the neck during the expanding process.
If feel there is something I missing and it has to do with bumping the shoulder .02" , could someone explain this to me? Shouldn't the neck resizing die support the neck during expansion?

I think either method works if you do it right, but if you don't FL size correctly with the right headspacing then you could run into bigger issues over neck sizing where you get into a bit of bolt closure pressure.

The question is, is fireformed more accurate than FL sizing??

I think they are just as accurate as each other if you do it right!

Take 3 fired cases and send them to Forstner and ask for .002 neck tension and .002 shoulder bump can be explained easiest by Bronz. On youtube search longrangeonly setting up a sizing die. I believe it is here on LRH too.

I think either method works if you do it right, but if you don't FL size correctly with the right headspacing then you could run into bigger issues over neck sizing where you get into a bit of bolt closure pressure.

The question is, is fireformed more accurate than FL sizing??

I think they are just as accurate as each other if you do it right!
Run into bigger issues with fl sizing?
OP, lots of looooong threads on fl v neck. Most of us have done both and decided on one type. See what you like, but realize consistency is key either way.

I am preparing to reload for a CZ 527 Varmint MTR in 6.5 Grendel. I am looking at dies sets, and have already decide on neck dies instead of full length resizing. My question is: Is the price jump from standard the standard Redding Neck die set to the Type S match die set worth it? For someone like me who is a relative novice at precision shooting and reloading, shooting a factory rifle.
Take a look at LEE dies they are inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty I've used them for years and NEVER had a problem Lee precision

Run into bigger issues with fl sizing?
OP, lots of looooong threads on fl v neck. Most of us have done both and decided on one type. See what you like, but realize consistency is key either way.
I neck size but size very minimally as little as possible actually I've never had a case failure Crackneck stuck case etc. but what neck sizers aren't fully coming clean about is you still have to full-size every now and then

I neck size but size very minimally as little as possible actually I've never had a case failure Crackneck stuck case etc. but what neck sizers aren't fully coming clean about is you still have to full-size every now and then
Been down that road with my edge And rums. After a few firings, neck sizing wouldn't allow for chambering without pretty good force. I might have been doing something wrong though

Been down that road with my edge And rums. After a few firings, neck sizing wouldn't allow for chambering without pretty good force. I might have been doing something wrong though
I don't think so I just think as brass gets harder it does not spring back as much so slowly little by little it is swelling up and eventually will not chamber properly If you are anealing you're only anealing the neck shoulders not the case body

I am preparing to reload for a CZ 527 Varmint MTR in 6.5 Grendel. I am looking at dies sets, and have already decide on neck dies instead of full length resizing. My question is: Is the price jump from standard the standard Redding Neck die set to the Type S match die set worth it? For someone like me who is a relative novice at precision shooting and reloading, shooting a factory rifle.
Why neck sizing dies over full Length ?

I have since had my mind changed, I had been under the impression that NS was the way to go, but after five pages of helpful comments I am back to FL Forstner and bench rester seater set.

You now are almost as smart, good looking and modest as I am. ;)

Look at piecing your die set, I have a new 6.5 Creedmoor, I was going to get the Redding Master Hunter set, but at 155.00, I started looking at others and have read nothing but great things about Forster Ultra Micrometer seater die so I purchased the Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die and purchased a Redding F/L sizer die, both for 118.00. I have the Master Hunter for my 28 Nosler, they are very good dies as well.

I am back to FL Forstner and bench rester seater set.
If you want to get a neck die down the road somewhere you can always get one and add to your set. I've built all my forster reloading die pairs into threesomes :) there are uses for both methods of sizing. A collet or mandrell die is another to pick up at some point to size necks in place of a spindle and sizer button as another option all for the same caliber. Dave

If you want to get a neck die down the road somewhere you can always get one and add to your set. I've built all my forster reloading die pairs into threesomes :) there are uses for both methods of sizing. A collet or mandrell die is another to pick up at some point to size necks in place of a spindle and sizer button as another option all for the same caliber. Dave
There is a definite need for a mandrel die and mandrels for your calibers that could be the next purchase

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.