Should I buy a new press ?

The thing that might drive you into a single stage press is extreme long distance accuracy. How you define extreme depends on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole with custom guns and high-end scopes, measuring equipment, and bullets. If every other thing in your setup is looking at your press and saying "you're holding us back" then it's time to upgrade. Before you know that you're going fully into Wonderland, your current press will be fine operated in single stage mode.

I have both the rock chucker and Dillon 650. Rock chucker is my go to for precise rifle loads. The Dillion get all pistol ammo built on it as long as it's ball powder. The Dillon doesn't meter stick powder well. It's been sitting idle for 3 years because I can buy ammo cheaper than reloading it for now.

Would be good to know what rifle your shooting, plus, the common thing for most NEW reloaders to do is to over buy or not "think out" what they actually need instead of filling a shelf with "STUFF" NO DOUBT, if your serious about accuracy a single stage is the way to go. I have been loading with a Foster Co-AX for years. Never regreated it. I have won several competitions with Forster, Readding, and Whidden gear and feel it was all worth every cent. Enjoy your adventure!
I agree 100% Reloading is an adventure for sure. I love it for many of the reasons stated here. So much great advice. You will see many different ideas here. I just love to relax and enjoy this now. Part of that is trying to get the most accurate round but don't shoot as much now as my body can't keep up with my head.

I bought a used LYMAN SPARTAN single stage press back in the late 70s. I am still using it to this day because it lets me check every stage of reloading as I do it rather than a progressive press that moves the shell to the next station. I feel more comfortable this way. But since you have the progressive press already it is your choice if you want to use that or buy an inexpensive single stage.

Years ago I bought a Hornady AP setup, I've never used it, I've never reloaded at all. When I bought it the thought was mass producing 5.56/.223 due to supplies and prices. Fast forward to now after pretty big life change/relocating I want to start loading but since bulk prices and quality are pretty darn good mass production is not a factor at all,I'd like to focus on accuracy and being able to match ammo to use "better" than factory offerings.
I've been trying to study the basics to get started, bought a couple loading manuals and obviously reading stuff on the interwebs. Right now all I have is what came with the Hornady AP kit so I need to buy equipment. My question is, do I use the progressive press setup I have or buy a quility single stage press ? I don't have a problem at all settling aside what I have now, maybe selling or trading it and buy another press setup.
Not saying money is no object but I want equipment that I hopefully won't want to upgrade quickly. So to recap, as a complete rookie at loading would you recommend buy a single stage press or use the progressive I have ? I need all the case prep stuff, dies, scales, measuring equipment anyway.
Any advice and guidance is appreciated.
If you live close enough to a big store that has many presses set up go and try them. Personally I like the side handle presses but to each his own. And for your Hornady AP. It works ok for short pistol cases but the shellplate wire spring retainer does not hold the cases tight enough so the rifle cases flop around. Not good and the Hornady priming system sucks. Also the powder measure transfer tube is small diameter.If you try to run coarser tube type powder it will bridge.DANGER. So yes forget about the Hornady AP press for rifle ammo.

I will buck the curve here, and ultimately I can load up a video to YouTube to show the process.

I load almost exclusively on a progressive press. Believe it or not, I get less ES, SD, and runout on the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP.

My RCBS Rockchucker has had around 100,000 rounds loaded on it and each round tends to be four cycles. I can't get it to load straight ammo anymore. I think the small size of the ram and quality just doesn't hold up. I get 0.006" runout anymore.

I can pull the same dies and throw them in the Hornady AP and get 0.001". I think this is largely to the larger, more stable ram as well as the float built into the shell holder.

Additionally, I can choose to do one station at a time on the AP and handle the brass less by simply feeding one piece in on station one and allowing the machine to eject it for me.

Changing dies out is quite easy as well.

As far as function you CAN make the AP more or less behave as like a single stage, but no SS can offer the advantages of an AP.

I have loaded both hunting and PRS ammo on the AP with excellent results.

If you already have the AP, I can see no reason to abandon it to delay getting started. You don't need a new press. You need to forget the peanut gallery and start research, and perhaps enroll in a reloading class from an accomplished shooter.

How serious of a loader are you? I've been reloading for 60 years and used many presses. If you are a very serious competition shooter then maybe those expensive presses are for you. If you are a hobbiest shooter and your only competition is yourself, don't waste your money. Buy a Lee Turret press and their excellent dies. I bought a concentricity tool to make sure my bullets were seated straight. After checking a bunch of bullets from a Lee die and seeing they were all good, I stopped using the tool. I use the Lee Turret in single stage mode, so with the Turret I have a single and progressive choice. All 3 dies are screwed into the turret so unlike single stage presses you don't have to screw them in and out numerous times during teloading. You just change the entire turret for each new cartridge. Turret rings were cheap. Seriously take a look at the Lee Turret press and their excellent dies.

Years ago I bought a Hornady AP setup, I've never used it, I've never reloaded at all. When I bought it the thought was mass producing 5.56/.223 due to supplies and prices. Fast forward to now after pretty big life change/relocating I want to start loading but since bulk prices and quality are pretty darn good mass production is not a factor at all,I'd like to focus on accuracy and being able to match ammo to use "better" than factory offerings.
I've been trying to study the basics to get started, bought a couple loading manuals and obviously reading stuff on the interwebs. Right now all I have is what came with the Hornady AP kit so I need to buy equipment. My question is, do I use the progressive press setup I have or buy a quility single stage press ? I don't have a problem at all settling aside what I have now, maybe selling or trading it and buy another press setup.
Not saying money is no object but I want equipment that I hopefully won't want to upgrade quickly. So to recap, as a complete rookie at loading would you recommend buy a single stage press or use the progressive I have ? I need all the case prep stuff, dies, scales, measuring equipment anyway.
My wife gave me a Hornady progressive a few years ago and I've never used it. Last year I bought a single stage (RCBS) and I taught myself (via YouTube and a ton of forums) how to reload. I don't think a progressive is the way to start. Way to many things to keep up with for a beginner.

Une chose est certaine: moins on s'y connait plus on est attiré par les machines couteuses. Mais le plus gros du travail se fait sur la douille, surtout pour les douilles Nato. C'est nécessaire de nettoyer, reformer la douille, et ensuite de reformer le poket primer avec une presse, normaliser l'epaisseur du col de la douille en la tournant, trimmer la longueur, et a la fin normaliser le flash hole. Seulement a ce moment on se sert de la presse a recharger. Une autre solution Dillon propose une presse pour préparer les douilles. Bon tir mon ami.

I agree with rsnell and would recommend Redding or RCBS for a single stage press. I think you are going about this correctly by getting (and reading/studying) the manuals and seeking advice from seasoned reloaders. I got my Redding in 07 with the plan to go Dillon after getting my feet wet... still haven't made the upgrade as I've tailored the process to suit my equipment and actual needs. Sometimes I even get a helper or two...View attachment 173070
Too cute!

Dillon 550 al the way!! I have two, a 650, and a Rockchucker. I use my 550 as a single stage when I want to and my RCBS mostly for case trimming.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.