Forster coax press...should I buy one?

Bigeclipse

I saw the Forster coax press on YouTube and it intrigues me. Seems to make switching does easy and no need for a ton of shell holders. Also like the fact the brass kinda floats around helping to align it into the die. Not sure if this really works but it sounds like it does. I currently have a very old RCBS single stage press I purchased second hand. I believe the previous owner had it since the 80s. It works well enough so I'm not sure I'm really gaining anything or not. I mainly load low volume rifle hunting ammo and occasionally some higher volume handgun ammo such as 44 mag and 45 amp. I typically load up about 150 rounds of hand gun ammo at a time but honestly I've just been buying most my hand gun ammo lately due to saving time and laziness so I might not reload hand gun ammo very often anymore.

Around 7 years ago I was in the same boat that you are in now. I had an RCBS Jnr press that I bought new in 1976. I had bought Redding Comp die sets for 223 and 22-250 but was still getting too much run out. When I got my Co-Ax all that changed and my run out now runs around .001". The dies sliding in and our makes die changes a breeze. Between the die being able to move in the forward and back direction and the shell holder allowing the case to slide left and right I think more accurate ammo is easier to produce. If you use a collet type bullet puller keep your RCBS press for that. I altered my bullet puller so it would work in the Co-Ax but I should have kept my RCBS press. I have no regrets about buying the Co-Ax press!

Around 7 years ago I was in the same boat that you are in now. I had an RCBS Jnr press that I bought new in 1976. I had bought Redding Comp die sets for 223 and 22-250 but was still getting too much run out. When I got my Co-Ax all that changed and my run out now runs around .001". The dies sliding in and our makes die changes a breeze. Between the die being able to move in the forward and back direction and the shell holder allowing the case to slide left and right I think more accurate ammo is easier to produce. If you use a collet type bullet puller keep your RCBS press for that. I altered my bullet puller so it would work in the Co-Ax but I should have kept my RCBS press. I have no regrets about buying the Co-Ax press!
I use a hammer style bullet puller as I'm only concerned about saving the brass and don't mind losing a bullet or powder so not worried about that. Either way I'd be keeping the rcbs press anyways.

Last edited:
Picked mine up 3 or 4 years ago an will never go back... only thing it won't work with is my RCBS competition seater dies because they use a special tall shell holder and my 338 lapua Redding micrometer seater because it's too tall to fit under the handle yoke...

Ammo runout is way better with the coax compared to my old Lyman and RCBS presses...

As for bullet pulling, if you don't care about the bullets ditch the kinetic puller and use a pair of pliers....run the loaded case up through your press grab the bullet with the pliers then lower the ram back down... way quicker, powder stays in the case and doesn't get all over etc...

Orch

Picked mine up 3 or 4 years ago an will never go back... only thing it won't work with is my RCBS competition seater dies because they use a special tall shell holder and my 338 lapua Redding micrometer seater because it's too tall to fit under the handle yoke...

Ammo runout is way better with the coax compared to my old Lyman and RCBS presses...

As for bullet pulling, if you don't care about the bullets ditch the kinetic puller and use a pair of pliers....run the loaded case up through your press grab the bullet with the pliers then lower the ram back down... way quicker, powder stays in the case and doesn't get all over etc...

Orch
Like Kiwikid had a RCBS Rockchucker Bot in the 70s. Loved it but got the itch and bought a Co-Ax. So much easier and great reloads, and kept RCBS press for collet bullet pulling.

Not trying to hijack this thread but, how does the RCBS summit press compare to the CO-AX press?
I had a Summit and sold it when I got a CO-AX.
Summit lacks the 2 things i think make the CO-AX great.
1)Easy die switch
2)Self-actuating shellholder
Summit is less money
Both are out of stock at Midway.

Don't bother getting the Co-Ax if runout is not a very important issue, if quick and easy die changes are not a big deal, if you already have the necessary shell holders and if you don't need any more leverage. But if these issues are important then I would get one. I got into handloading in the early 70's and didn't get a Co-Ax until last year. I just wish I would have saved my money and bought the Co-Ax as my first press. Just the ability to change dies quickly is worth the extra money. And the dies always remain adjusted to the way you set them up.

So many handloaders worry about the extra cost of this press. But when compared to all the stuff we buy for our pastime, (guns, handloading equipment, cleaning supplies, range fees, books and manuals, bullets, primers, cases, powder, etc.) this press is probably at the bottom of the list as far as price goes especially when you amortize it over your lifetime. You will appreciate this press every time you use it.

Loading a wide variety of cartridges up to the 50 bmg (Which takes a bigger press) I have had very good luck and accuracy with the Rock Chucker Supreme and have loaded some of the smallest of cartridges with it. The problem I found with it was it had very little feel because of it's strength and felt I needed a little more finesse for the smaller cartridges.

I have a good friend convince me that the forester coax would load better ammo. always wanting to see if I can improve on anything I bought one and began testing it's worth. I had already bought several concentricity tools that proved that I needed to improve my loading quality so armed with these tools, I started comparing the two presses.

What I found was that cases with a capacity of less than 80 grains average did better on the forester, the largest cases that needed lots of power to size them did better with the Rock Chucker.

So I now have two presses and generally load the smaller cartridges on the forester
and most of the time get zero concentricity with an occasional - .001.

The big cartridges do well on the Rock Chucker from Zero to .002 on average and shoot very good. I also still like the Rock Chucker for pulling bullets and sizing.

When I can, I seat most bullets with the forester, It seems to do a better job at seating concentric bullets.

I use both and would not sell ether one.

Just My observations

J E CUSTOM

I also have been looking at the forester press and dies . This slow time between the holidays has me thinking upgrades. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker and all RCBS dies now and have no problems but several new calibers and the Foresters features have me thinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.