shotgunning coyotes lesson learned

bigblazer433

Yesterday morning on my first stand I was waiting for enough light to start calling (I like to use the darkness for cover walking to my spot). As I was glassing around I barely spot a yote about 350 out he was just hanging out on the edge of a wheat field. About 15 min goes by and I start an interrogation howl and he seems interested and started circling down wind very slowly. A few min pass and I start baby cottontail distress. And he just sat there at about 300 yrds. My call and decoy were about 50 yrds away from me I think he was just staring at the decoy flopping around. Long story short, while I have that dog in my crosshairs of my 7 mag about to take him. 4 dogs popped up out of a terrace about 75 yrds away and locked on the decoy and ran straight to it I had my scope turned to 9 for the dog at 300, but now I have 4 dogs within 50 yrds running all over the place u couldn't get a shot at any with my rifle. By the time I knew what was going on they were headed for the next mile section! So here's my real question I'm going to start carrying a shotgun also but need some advice on what shells to use. I have a 12ga that will shoot 3 and half inch shells but what size shot do you guys prefer and what's the max distance you will use your shotgun. If I had my shotgun I know I could have killed at least two of them! But it was one exciting stand!

That will learn you really quick had that happen a couple times and now always carry the shotgun... I've been shooting 3" BBB from federal this yr, In my 870 much much cheaper than the remington dead coyote loads. I've got more chance to call in fox where I'm at now but, i will say with a full choke and those dead coyotes will smite one at 60 or so steps with authority!!!

I think ill have to buy a couple different sizes and just see how each patterns out of my gun. Seems like it will be tough carrying a rifle and a shotgun at the same time plus a call and other gear. I just keep bringing more and more with me every time I go it seems haha!

That's the best thing you can do there are article for days you can read how other peoples guns handled this load and that but, try a full choke and a few diff rounds. I'm not an expert on the process but I shoot paper plates at 40-60yd easy and effective. Anything BBB or larger should be enough to dispatch them with a good tight pattern.

Try the Heavy Shot - Dead Coyote with Tungsten! 2.75 or 3" I would say within 75 yards. Even past that, I would still send one just because it is a coyote.

Thanks for the advise guys. Also how do you guys go about packing a rifle and shotgun in the field? Do you sling both guns and carry on each shoulder, or do you have a pack that will carry one for you? It seems like a back pack to strap the shotgun in would be ideal to me.

I will usually sling the rifle and hold the shotgun, I have a sling on both. I run my head through the sling and let the rifle ride diagonally across my back. I don't carry enough stuff to need a pack but that'd be handy for sure, My usual list is;
Seat, calls around neck, decoy, electric caller "foxpro wildfire", couple extra rounds for both guns, gloves, mask, scent killer, shooting sticks. Most of the stuff I'm wearing so it's really not all that much to carry, I drop my decoy and caller into my seat car it with one hand and the shotgun in the other. Once you get the technique it's not bad at all.

I think I'm going to cut out my back pack and carry only the necessity's with me. Alpha dog caller, crazy critter decoy, savage 111 7mm rem mag, 12ga pump rem 870. That way I can sling my rifle over my back like you suggested. I wear my binos all the time anyway so my range finder can go in my pocket with a few other small things.

You sir will deff have enough rifle. My caller is small and compact runs off AA batteries. Where are you hunting? Hope your rifle is relatively light weight, I carried my ar for a couple seasons and decided that my Ruger American is a much better substitute much much lighter. I rarely call in more than a double and in most cases it's near brush so chances of the second shot are sort of slim looking back I've only ever scored one double and that was in the middle of a hay field.

I'm only using my 7mm rem mag till my 243 is done. It's a savage 111 with factory barrel so its really light even with my bi pod on it. I've killed 3 dogs with it in 2 stands and saw 14! Which is why I'm taking the shotgun next time! and it is pretty ugly what the 7 mag does to them. But I'm hunting wide open wheat fields and rolling pasture land on private property and I can see for miles. I'm trying to get a yote at 500 yards so far my furthest is 260 yards. On this private land around were I'm hunting is cattle country and I've never seen so many cottontail rabbits before this place is a coyotes buffet!

243 is hard to beat, I've studied and studied ballistics and your simply can't beat it for ease of reloads and the amount of availability. 243 with the wrong load it can be nasty as well but a 7mag eww... I neck shot one a few yrs back with 168a-max out of my 308 and it wasn't pretty, only one little scrap of hide held her head to her shoulders. 14 in a days time is awesome!!! Back in KY most ever was 5 in a day and all off the same farm. If you'd be open to a partner in crime some time this coming fall or winter I'd be glad to help dent the population a bit. Once you get you're new rifle in be sure to get us some pics we eat that stuff up, be sure to try the 58gr v-max, I did a write up about them and my new rifle a few wks ago they're impressive, crazy good groups with them.

Where can I find your write-up on the 58 gr V-Max?? I'm still searching for the ideal coyote load for my .243 and would be interested to read what you have to say.

I'd like to interject here- I use #4 buckshot for coyotes, and it certainly works well, but I only use it because I can't find ay other non-steel large shot without going to 00 or 000 buck (and those are too big to reliably land pellets where you need 'em).

I just wanted to say, use fairly large shot (BB, BBB, T, F, #4 buck), use heavy shot (lead, hi-density, tungsten, bismuth, whatever), but for Heaven's sake DON'T USE HEVI-SHOT DEAD COYOTE.

Why?

Because I don't care how good a shotshell is, nobody should ever ever ever ever ever pay $5 PER SHOT for a 12 gauge. Simple. :D

Where can I find your write-up on the 58 gr V-Max?? I'm still searching for the ideal coyote load for my .243 and would be interested to read what you have to say.

Also, FWIW, I killed a pile of coyotes with Hornady's 58 gr VMAX moly, and it's probably the best light-bullet load you can buy in .243.

Just don't expect the pelts to look nice...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.