Shotgunning Coyotes

gunaddict you have the right idea. The 512 is superior because it has a much larger sight window and circle with dot that just falls into place when you shoulder the 12 making it much faster for running or flying shots.
IMG_6604.JPG
I even shoot clays and doves with mine.

If you do want one smaller they are making a newer model that uses the round quarter size batteries which enables them to make the unit much smaller than mine. Either way you will love it..

Yea. It is a lot of fun. 35-50 yards definitely drops them with authority. I'm just glad I was able to find all the components and stock up. Shotgun loads don't take a lot of powder so 4 lbs will last for a really long time. Found 1000 209 primers the other day as well so I am set for a little while.

my furthest to date is 100 yards it was by necessity not design my Griff never broke as a rule just growl God I miss him RIP ! Gauge broke running downhill I stepped over the side as the coyote ran around the base of the hill we were on and was shocked when I flatted him ! 00 buck shot is the ****! I never leave home without it ! I've killed them with high base 6s and others between but 00 Buck puts their nose in the dirt and that tail shaking in the air! you can pass a pencil thru every hole ! double fun at ten yards!

Yea. It is a lot of fun. 35-50 yards definitely drops them with authority. I'm just glad I was able to find all the components and stock up. Shotgun loads don't take a lot of powder so 4 lbs will last for a really long time. Found 1000 209 primers the other day as well so I am set for a little while.
dang I need to get in gear my room is stuffed with rifle reloading components. snoozing on shotgun my press only handles 2 3/4. good point !

Well, I have been rifle hunting coyotes for a while. I decided that I wanted to try using a shotgun to hunt them because at times we have multiples come in to the call down in southwest New Mexico. The only problem was that I didn't want to spend all that money on the expensive factory loads for coyotes.

So I ended up buying my own shot shell reloader and all the components. I am loading 48 pellets of nickel plated F Buck behind longshot powder. It's actually fun to load your own shells. I went out and patterned it with a kicks buck kicker xfull choke and it does well out to 50 yards.

I went out this morning and called 4 stands just to try my loads out.

The first stand produced a coyote and I tried to shoot him at around 60-70 yards and it didn't go to well. He ran off. I started thinking to myself, self...if you want to shoot coyotes at 70 yards, use a rifle.

So the next stand, produced another coyote and I let him get to 35 yards and the F buck flattened him good. It was nice because even though he was at a dead run to the caller, I didn't have to try to stop him or make a hasty shot with a rifle before he ran off. I just point and shot with my reflex sight. Another coyote was coming in after I let the caller go for a while after killing the first one but he saw my truck and took off.
View attachment 230649

Next stand produced another coyote and same results...very dead coyote.
View attachment 230651

last stand and another coyote came in and same results. F buck flat out knocks them down for good.
View attachment 230650
great for multiples and a semi auto devastating results nose in the dirt tail quivering in the air!