coyotes

rwk

How do you folks hunt song dogs in the eastern states. mainly NEW York i'm very new at this. This summer were seeing to many.

Brian Downs is very good at this.
foxpro's predator hunting talkcast.
Very informative podcasts that single out situations for predator hunting.
Brian is from Massachusetts.
itunes.
Good Luck!

I'm in Southeast Missouri......does that count? :D ;)

If Your seeing Coyotes go in quietly to those spots and lightly call using a Rabbit in Distress,Rodent or Mice sounds etc.If Your cutting hay or simply brush hogging You can set up over those areas and watch for the Coyotes to be walking the fields for mice,snakes,injured Turkeys or even Fawns....that another Distress Sound that will get a Coyotes attention.

I usually set up in the early mornings in one of my many ladder stands or in a spot where I have a view where the Coyotes will be coming from,I let things settle in for a few minutes then when I use any sound I start off very low in case a Coyote is close or bedded down?I usually do some type of distress sound then pull up my Lil Dog open reed Howler and make a few excited barking sounds then watch for movement!

In the late evening I set up about the same way...starting off softly with some type of sound or even a simple hand held mouse squeaker and use a few different sounds as the evening progresses.Closer to sun set I will use pup in distress or some misc barking/howling to get the Coyotes to respond and/or come in!

If You have an Electronic Caller You can use a wider assortment of sounds to coax in the Coyotes such as Bird Sounds,Chickens,Calfs,Goats,Pigs and all types of Mice/Rodents etc!

Last edited:
I`ve never had much luck calling. I kill most of mine watching corn fields that are being shelled. I`ve never shot at a coyote that was standing still, so I pack an AR with a long ranger wildcat of some kind close at hand if I see one way out there. I have killed some just setting and watching well populated areas in the mornings and evenings. I also hunt with some guys that run them with dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.