Shot my 1st deer with a suppressor this season

MR T

Well this is my first post, so why not talk about a hunting trip.
On the morning of November 28th I was running late (like normal) trying to get dressed to go hunting. While getting ready I also have to get out the door without waking up my boys, which seems to never happen. If I wake up my kids when I am leaving, they don't go back to sleep and usually wake their mother up soon after. This makes for an unpleasant welcoming when I get back home.
I am fortunate that I have good deer hunting on our farm and that louisiana has opened a wma game reserve that borders our property. With that being said, I drive my utv from my house to my deer stands to hunt. This time I managed to get to my deerstand before day light had broken. For the first hour I am all ears and have my eyes glued to my scope scanning trying spot anything before it walks out of the brush and into my shooting lanes.
After that first hour I start getting a little stiff and have to reposition my self. Then my mind gets bored and I think I have to range everything I can with my scope. I am hunting with my rem 700p 308 cut down to 20"s with a Gemtech sandstorm suppressor. I have a nf 5.5-22 npr1 mounted on the gun until my 300wm is complete. When hunting I try to leave my scope set at 5.5x which gives me decent quick close range shots but really works best for me 100-500yds without jacking with turrets for elevation adjustments.
Ok, so I'm done ranging my mineral blocks and tree stumps. Not sure why but I set my gun down from my shooting rest and leaned it barrel up against the window. My back was hurting so I was stretching a little while glancing at the end of my shooting lane that is in front of my deerstand. I was caught off guard with a doe stand about two yds in the brush on the left side of the lane. The brush is about 4' high, so all I could see was the does upper neck and head at full attention.
Soon as I noticed her turn her head to look back down the trail she just came down, I mentally yelled to myself; BUCK! So I looked down at my gun and grabbed it while also looking up to see that the doe had already jetted herself across the lane. As the doe was running left to right and going back into the brush, I then realized that there was another deer stand exactly where the doe was when I first saw her. But this deer was a bull compared to the doe. I couldn't notice the size of the horns with my bare eyes but their was no doubt that it was a mature buck.
I pulled the gun up and got my eyes aligned with with my scope. But the buck was already starting to slow run left to right down the same trail the doe traveled. I lined the second hash mark on my reticle just below his back and barely pulled the gun to the right as I squeezed the trigger. When my gun fired all i saw was the deer shrug his front shoulders as he push with his hind legs into the brush.
About 30mins later I had to start looking. I found the deer laid down about 20 feet from my pop up bow stand that was placed not far from my rifle stand. He was my first deer with a suppressor and a good one to start the season. Weighed in at 235lbs. With 18" inside spread. image.jpg

235lbs and 18 inch inside spread is a darn nice deer in anybody's book ! Congrats

image.jpgGot this lil basket rack with 300blkout 110gr barnes tsx. I was really impressed with the barnes tsx.

Last edited:
Very good. Now, is your deer season still in?

WV's doe season ended 12/31/14.

A friend of mine is stuck using a chair, he's 30 some. Chris bagged his first deer season before last. I've had him out several times, just nice to see him (and you) get out and enjoy the outdoors. Stack em up!

No our rifle season ended in January. I got hurt a couple years back and it has slowed me down a little bit. I just miss being able to walk through the woods and sneaking up on deer.

good effort there. I hunt in New Zealand and have suppressors on all my rifles . Helps with the animals and saves what's left of my hearing. Nice animal and good size. Know what you mean about getting away without waking the kids haha

That first one is a hog of a deer Mr T, especially for the south. I live in SW MO and I've never seen a buck with a body any where near that big. Congratulations on a heck of a deer!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts