Shortys in the Field ( 20" 338 RCM)

RevJim

For those who use it/or similar rifles, I have a question? How hard is this rifle to "hold still" from hunting positions? I sometimes hunt cow elk where shots can be pretty long, more sage brush than timber. If possible I take a good sitting position. If able to lean over a fence, boulder, truck hood, etc, I do much better. I have never had an opportunity to shoot from prone, and maybe that's because of my hunting style, I don't know. I do have trouble shooting very lwt, short, whippy Mod 7s, an older 77 Ultralight, but the Hawkeye 77 20" RCM "seems" a little more muzzle heavy. Anyhow, up in the edges of timber/aspen or woods, I'm fine.
I should add that being older now, and bolted together, I have to "pick my opportunity's". My preference is for driving up on or getting out and slipping up on "hayfield elk" if at all possible, ha. Its not as easy as it sounds, but easier 'for me". On past hunts, I was on a ranch that had steep, knife edge ridges on both sides of a jeep trail. I was able to get out of the passenger side and lean over the roof, made a 250yd shot on a cow with a 7 1/2 pound lite sporter. I was using the 338WM/185 Barnes. I see this little Hawkeye as being a good pick for this type of hunting, be it up on an open ridge or hayfield, but until I can wring it out for myself ( I like to go out to the desert and shoot a lot) I would appreciate any and all input? Thanks guys! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.