Elk in the rain

cohunt

Help me out here guys.
I've had spotty afternoon showers while deer and elk hunting in the past but this comming week is going to be a new one for me.

Up at 10-11000feet, lowes could hit freezing but sound like they will be just enough to hold off the snow.

Last week up here it was hitting close to 70s for the highs, and low to medium 50s for the lows.

Elk sign has been slim pickn's so far.

Starting tonight around 8 the weather is really going to change. Highs in the upper 40s to mid 50s-- lows right now are showing around 35.--- but chances of rain are showing around 50-90% chance of rain all week,- pretty much all day/all night.

Sounds like it's gonna get cold and muddy.

Any tips for lots of rain for elk hunting?

Hunter activity/pressure goes way down mid week around this area. But will climb again late Thursday afternoon into the weekend.

no moon at night right now- have only heard a few bleats so far, bit that's normal with all the hunters around. Usually the best time of day is at first light, the elk usually go to heavily wooded/steep woods during day and early evening and it's incredibly hard to get near them without bumping them as the woods are normally so dry/crunchy.

I know that light rain or brief heavy rain usually doesn't seem to change their habits--- but I've never been In heavy rains for a week solid.

Any tips or advice that might help me out?

Besides keeping myself and my boots dry that is.

My bet would be on night time snow. If they are predicting lots of rain (as opposed to many days of rain) I would head for lower ground or at least prepare to.
In my experience, the animals seem to know when big weather changes are coming and here again- they may be headed lower.
If you are prepared for it, hunting in fresh snow is awesome especially early in the year because it can drive out those hunters who are less prepared.

Well, no doubt, any tracks you find will be fresh. :)
Around here they like to stay in the woods and feed on mushrooms when it rains. They also like to bed down on benches in the timber. The woods will no doubt be quiter in the rain too...
Seems they can feel barometric changes and get out and feed heavier just before the storm.
Like, @MtPockets says, this sounds like a big enough storm to push them, and you, to lower ground.
Good luck.

Help me out here guys.
I've had spotty afternoon showers while deer and elk hunting in the past but this comming week is going to be a new one for me.

Up at 10-11000feet, lowes could hit freezing but sound like they will be just enough to hold off the snow.

Last week up here it was hitting close to 70s for the highs, and low to medium 50s for the lows.

Elk sign has been slim pickn's so far.

Starting tonight around 8 the weather is really going to change. Highs in the upper 40s to mid 50s-- lows right now are showing around 35.--- but chances of rain are showing around 50-90% chance of rain all week,- pretty much all day/all night.

Sounds like it's gonna get cold and muddy.

Any tips for lots of rain for elk hunting?

Hunter activity/pressure goes way down mid week around this area. But will climb again late Thursday afternoon into the weekend.

no moon at night right now- have only heard a few bleats so far, bit that's normal with all the hunters around. Usually the best time of day is at first light, the elk usually go to heavily wooded/steep woods during day and early evening and it's incredibly hard to get near them without bumping them as the woods are normally so dry/crunchy.

I know that light rain or brief heavy rain usually doesn't seem to change their habits--- but I've never been In heavy rains for a week solid.

Any tips or advice that might help me out?

Besides keeping myself and my boots dry that is.
4 tire chains

Recent Posts