Field Dressing

back when I gutted a bison for my Dad, that was a chore, and how they are stuck on their side

We have been leaving the guts in and just skinning one side take all the meat off that side and than flip it over skin the other side and do the same. The back straps and tenderloins are easy to remove also all the neck meat etc. Usally carry all our stuff out by foot with the rear quarters boned out and carry the fronts. If ya really want the heart ya go in after.... Easy peasy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I can seen the benefit of doing this method. But, how do you get the loins that are located within the chest/abdominal? Those are one of the tastiest parts!

back when I gutted a bison for my Dad, that was a chore, and how they are stuck on their side

There is a video on YouTube that goes through the process of dressing a bison. Very interesting to watch. By the time they were done, there was nothing but bones left.

Maybe this two threads can help with that. I havent done it with elk, never hunted one, but it works on whitetails. The trick to take the tenderloins out is to stay very close to the back ribs, with the knife edge aiming towards the bone, in this way you will stay out of the peritoneum which is the layer that surrounds the guts, and with gentle dissection with your fingers you can get the tenderloins out whithout the need of using a knife.
I found one of this threads in this website and the other one on the net, there are some videos on youtube also.
Hope this helps.
http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=27
http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html

Last edited:
I think it is wise to gut an animal to inspect the organs also, there is a lot of funky stuff floating around. You should make sure the liver and lungs look healthy.

Not sure why people think a bison is hard to field dress. Just grab him by one leg and pull the hide off then sling him into the back of the truck.

buffalo2.jpg

Hey buffalobob,
Thats a cool picture. The pickup,the old school canopy. Your a real ''git er done'' kinda guy.(not pokin' fun, its a compliment where Im from) I love it. What year is the pickup, 73ish Ford? I used to have one similar. That was a tough ol rig. But it never had a buff in the back. Way to cool.:D

Rooster740 (Hank)

Nice pics!

As others have asked, are you out of Gardiner? Work for an outfitter?
I went hunting there this past fall, and would love to know if you could tell us more.

Sorry for the delay, The hunting sucks here now! I do not want to do any hi-jacking here so I will keep it brief. I live between Livingston and Gardiner, and have not worked for any outfitters in the past two years. No elk = no fun. I just hunt for me friends and family, it is more fun that way. Just for an update it is Sunday night and only four bulls have been killed this weekend out of 12 hunters. The few being killed are dinks compared to the past. PM me for more info.

I have to gut them or I always end up mutilating the tender loins. We take one side at a time but when everything is done except ribs and tenderloin we open them up, inspect the wound channel pull the guts out strip the ribs and recover the tender loins.

I found one of this threads in this website and the other one on the net, there are some videos on youtube also.
Hope this helps.
HuntingNut News The Gutless Field Dressing Method
http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html

That's an interesting method. It sure seems easier to just gut it and have all of that out of the way. Here is how we always did it:

Step 1
Cut the elk from between the hind legs all the way up to the throat. Avoid cutting too deeply. You do not want to puncture the stomach or the intestines, which will cause a smelly mess that may ruin your meat.

Step 2
Cut the skin away from around the genitals of the elk. Be sure not to cut into the penis, or you will be covered in elk urine.

Step 3
Cut the skin all the way around the anus of the elk. This is the only way to release the pelt from the large intestine when finished gutting. Tie it off if you can to avoid any spillage.

Step 4
Reach into the chest cavity and begin removing the internal organs. Pull out organs that will come free easily as you field dress the elk.

Step 5
Grab your knife and reach back into the cavity to remove more of the innards. Be sure to cut slowly and carefully, as you will not be able to see what you are doing. You can cut yourself easily if you rush.

Step 6
Stop every few minutes to pull out more insides. This will create more room for you to cut out more tissue.

Step 7
Reach in as far up into the elk as you can to reach and remove the wind pipe.

Step 8
Skin the elk once you have all of the organs removed. Skinning immediately is important to be able to keep the meat fresh.

Step 9
Cut the carcass in half length wise to allow the animal to cool. You will need your hacksaw to get through the elk's thick bones.

Step 10
Cut off each leg with your hacksaw.

Step 11
Cut the carcass down the backbone with your hacksaw to begin to quarter it.

Step 12
Remove the head with your hacksaw. Use your knife for smaller tissue that the hacksaw is too large for.

Step 13
Cut each half of the elk horizontally at the third rib to complete quartering your kill.

Step 14
Pack one quarter at a time out of the woods. You will put one section in a game bag, put it in your backpack and hike back to your car.

Step 15
Return to your elk and continue to pack out your meat until you have all of it.

Detailed here: How to Field Dress Elk | eHow.com

Things you'll need:

• Knife
  • Hacksaw
  • Game bags
  • Flashlight
  • Rope
Here is another article that covers it as well as caping the head: Field Care of Harvested Big Game

Here is a guy gutting a deer with pictures included: http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting.html

Some video samples as well: dan walker productions - Field Dressing Big Game - Video Samples

Basically if you go to google and search on "how to field dress big game" you'll find all sorts of resources to help you get the job done. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.