What's everyone use for a rear rest while shooting in the field? Mainly looking at prone shooting, if possible.

fnlights

My father and I have a trip to Northern Colorado in a few weeks and I am curious as to what everyone prefers for a rear rest.

I have an Atlas CAL bipod and originally just considered using my pack as a rear rest while shooting prone, but now I am considering buying a rear bag. This will be our first time to CO, so we don't know exactly what to expect.

For those of you that have hunted in Northern CO, how hard is it to get a prone shot? Is the grass usually too high?

My father and I have a trip to Northern Colorado in a few weeks and I am curious as to what everyone prefers for a rear rest.

I have an Atlas CAL bipod and originally just considered using my pack as a rear rest while shooting prone, but now I am considering buying a rear bag. This will be our first time to CO, so we don't know exactly what to expect.

For those of you that have hunted in Northern CO, how hard is it to get a prone shot? Is the grass usually too high?
Make a fist under the but stock to change elevation you can squeeze or relax you're fist you don't have to carry anything extra

My boys ran an atlas v8 bipod in western Nebraska and had very little use of it for elk. I'd practice with a good set of shooting sticks and off your backpack more than a bipod.
The more I think about it and look at pictures, the more that I think this might be the best plan.

I do have a BOG Deathgrip tripod that I plan on taking out - the issue being, wow is that thing still hard to hold dead steady. I plan on testing it out with a rear shooting stick to see if that helps out at all - or my trekking polls

798C98F1-DC40-4058-AA9B-C70224967F7E.jpeg

This is my hunting setup for long range. Very tall bipod(Harris swivel) and use a sleeping pad on my knee for rear rest, or my jacket. Practice helps immensely with this. Just no where to get prone in my areas

Here is what I do:

My left arm is through my shooting sling loop; I then relax my left leg. Bench rest steady, but you do need a brake on heavy recoiling rifles.

I don't hunt with a bipod attached; I pack it and put it on if needed. Out to 300 yards if you can't hit a pie plate using a shooting sling, you need practice. Doesn't anyone use these anymore? Seems everyone wants to now pack a tripod with a clamp...

Attachments

• BRG.jpg
    BRG.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 146
Here is what I do:

My left arm is through my shooting sling loop; I then relax my left leg. Bench rest steady, but you do need a brake on heavy recoiling rifles.

I don't hunt with a bipod attached; I pack it and put it on if needed. Out to 300 yards if you can't hit a pie plate using a shooting sling, you need practice. Doesn't anyone use these anymore? Seems everyone wants to now pack a tripod with a clamp...
Yeah I like the idea of that longer bipod, especially for sitting shots.

Doesn't anyone use these anymore? Seems everyone wants to now pack a tripod with a clamp...
On all my other rifles I would 100% agree with this - but the Bergara with a NF scopes comes in at like 11-12lbs - not idea for any type of standing/free hand shots at all lol.

Yeah I like the idea of that longer bipod, especially for sitting shots.

On all my other rifles I would 100% agree with this - but the Bergara with a NF scopes comes in at like 11-12lbs - not idea for any type of standing/free hand shots at all lol.
I am talking about shooting sitting with a shooting sling. I have shot a ton of game this way. Using a sling standing is a waste of time (when I shot three position no one used a sling standing; not sure it was even legal, but it was ineffective).

Here is a typical shot of mine; go to 6 min:

Last edited:
accu-shot monopod is what I used in rifle leagues/comps and out for coyotes.

I run a 458 lott now so things are different, but I still have one of those monopods tucked away in case I get a long range gun again... wouldn't be without it, they are phenomenal.

For one, the thing is attached to the gun, you don't need to worry about leaving it behind or it being trapped in the bottom of the main bag.

Plus, like noted in an earlier post, you can leave it collapsed and use your fist while also having it there creating extra anchor points to adjust height.

Also, it adjusts, not only can you run it straight up and down and quick adjust the heigh, you can angle it as well, so you have a lot of adjustment. I always wrapped my hand around it, that way you can manipulate it quickly, but also you can add a bit of stability. It really helps you to anchor the gun butt.

Anyways, a lot of adjustment, quick adjustments, very solid, can stay attached to the gun, like noted, I still have one simply in case I get a long range rig again, loved them, preferred it over rear bag for sure.